Installing new shower drain under slab

Users who are viewing this thread

James Kimbrough

Reaction score
I am re-modeling the lower level of my house, and expanding the existing half-bath to include a walk-in shower where the washer and dryer were in the utility room. North is left in the picture from before re-modeling began:
upload_2019-10-5_11-27-14.png

To that end, I removed the wall between the half-bath and utility room, expanded the half-bath to create a washer/dryer alcove in front of the sink and toilet, and re-routed the washer and dryer plumbing and vents to the new location.

I now need to install a drain for the walk-in shower under the concrete slab. I intend to tie into the existing 3" drain from the toilet as shown:
upload_2019-10-5_12-20-34.png

North is down in the picture; drawing to scale with each grid square equal 6"x6". Start with 2" ABS drain from center of shower -> P-trap under slab -> horizontal 2" ABS drain going West -> long sweep 90-deg elbow North -> 2x2x1.5 ABS wye with 1/8 bend vertical to 1.5" vent -> long sweep 90-deg elbow East -> 90-deg elbow North -> 3x3x2 ABS wye with 1/8 bend -> tie into existing 3" drain horizontally. 1.5" ABS vertical vent to mechanically connect with 1.5" PVC vent using UPC-rated coupling with steel bands. Shower vent to connect to the horizontal re-routed washer drain vent using 1.5x1.5x1.5 PVC wye with 1/8 bend. Washer drain vent connects to main house stack inside the wall Southeast of the old dryer location.

The awkward routing is so I can tap vertically off the drain for the shower vent. Vent will be on other side of the bathroom wall, in the utility room. Connection to horizontal shower drain vent will be 4'-2" above the floor.

Assuming I slope the drain appropriately under the slab, will my plan pass inspection per UPC code requirements? Do I have to add a cleanout somewhere (possibly on the shower vent)? Is there anything I'm missing?

Thanks for the help!

James Kimbrough

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, Terry; I appreciate the advice. I'll add a cleanout to the vent's ABS section, just above the floor in the utility room.

I'm not arguing, but isn't a long sweep 90 equivalent to a 45 and a street 45?

To your knowledge, is the rest of my plan UPC compliant?

James Kimbrough

Reaction score
Oh, wait. I think I understand. You mean after the vent and prior to the connection to the existing 3" toilet drain. Use two 45s instead of the two 90s, to make it more of a straight shot. Eliminate 90 degrees from the drain's total angles.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Oh, wait. I think I understand. You mean after the vent and prior to the connection to the existing 3" toilet drain. Use two 45s instead of the two 90s, to make it more of a straight shot. Eliminate 90 degrees from the drain's total angles.

Yes. Otherwise you have too much change of direction.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks