Installing new faucet on old clawfoot tub- how to get from 3/4 IPS to 3/8 compression?

Users who are viewing this thread

Gnomer

Reaction score
I'm replacing the old faucet on my mothers clawfoot tub. I attached a pic but the existing faucet uses 3/4 connections as well but whoever put it on used a 3/4" x 1/2" FIP coupling with tons of tape on it => 1/2” to 3/8" reducer. Then the supply line runs to a 1/2" FIP x 3/8" stop valve. It looks wonky and I'm getting small leaks at the 3/4" side of the coupling with a little or a lot of tape. I can't figure out how this is intended to be mounted, the connectors for the back of the inlets have a ~1/2" hole in them with washers. Part #28 & #29 on https://media.kingstonbrass.com/pdf/technical/parts/kingston-brass-CC11T5-parts-diagram.pdf

wall-mount-with-hand-shower.jpg

If I used these https://www.amazon.com/MISSMIN-Clawfoot-Faucet-Adapter-Connector/dp/B08LNWQBGC could I then use a 1/2 to 3/8 supply line to the stop valve? Any other suggestions on how to connect this? The back/outside of the tub has a built in shelf over it so the aesthetics aren't an issue.

clawfoot-tub-elbows.jpg

Thanks!

20220120_142808.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A tub spout with its outlet beneath the flood rim of a tub hasn't been legal for ages. I'm not sure I'd want to try to replace the existing one...I'd plug those holes and mount a more modern valve higher up on the wall along with its new spout. I'm sort of surprised you can find a replacement. Stores aren't required to stop selling things that are not code compliant, though, but they keep selling stuff people want for whatever reason.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Often what you have is a straight thread, not a tapered thread. Typical connections are ball end compression or something with a rubber washer.
And sometimes you can make that work with tape and dope.

Marlinman

In the Trades
Reaction score
The elbows you show will work perfectly. A standard 1/2 x 3/8 faucet supply will then fit. The Kingston Brass faucet you show gives you a 6" outlet height from center which is more the 2" above flood rim required by code.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks