Installing my own Hybrid Hot Water Heater?

Users who are viewing this thread

BobD777

Reaction score
I'm about to purchase a hybrid hot water heater to replace my current Buderus indirect tank that runs off of oil.

I'm doing this since after more installed solar panels just yesterday, I now have enough solar to cover this. By doing this I'll be getting off fossil fuels entirely. I put in geothermal heating cooling a few years ago, which is working great off the solar!

Question is, is there any reason not to do this myself? Quotes I got are inexplicably high--about $2200-$2500 more than it will cost me. I am not ducting it, can easily do the wiring, and while I'm learning more about plumbing every day, I've been involved with all kinds of construction for many years. So I can figure things out.

Am I missing something that warrants that huge installation cost?

Thanks!

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
I'm about to purchase a hybrid hot water heater to replace my current Buderus indirect tank that runs off of oil.

I'm doing this since after more installed solar panels just yesterday, I now have enough solar to cover this. By doing this I'll be getting off fossil fuels entirely. I put in geothermal heating cooling a few years ago, which is working great off the solar!

Question is, is there any reason not to do this myself? Quotes I got are inexplicably high--about $2200-$2500 more than it will cost me. I am not ducting it, can easily do the wiring, and while I'm learning more about plumbing every day, I've been involved with all kinds of construction for many years. So I can figure things out.

Am I missing something that warrants that huge installation cost?

Thanks!

Unless the heat pump is going to be ducted, installing a heat pump/hybrid water heater is not much more complicated than a plain old electric tank. The only additional installation detail is condensate disposal/management, since the coils will be condensing signficant amounts of moisture out of the room air (particularly in summer). A heat pump water heater can sometimes even eliminate the need for separate mechanical dehumidification to keep "musty basement smell" at bay.

The small condensate pumps used for managing condensate for central air conditioning units is a common (and not very expensive) solution. A $35-$40 pump, $5-$10 of tubing, plus a bit more wiring & box for an outlet to plug the pump into would be about it. As a DIY it's well under $100 for that additional bit.

In locations that have rebate subsidies for this type of equipment it's common for contractors to bump their margins a bit (human nature being what it is). Many rebate subsidies only apply if the existing water heater being replaced is a plain old electric tank.

BobD777

Reaction score
Unless the heat pump is going to be ducted, installing a heat pump/hybrid water heater is not much more complicated than a plain old electric tank. The only additional installation detail is condensate disposal/management, since the coils will be condensing signficant amounts of moisture out of the room air (particularly in summer). A heat pump water heater can sometimes even eliminate the need for separate mechanical dehumidification to keep "musty basement smell" at bay.

The small condensate pumps used for managing condensate for central air conditioning units is a common (and not very expensive) solution. A $35-$40 pump, $5-$10 of tubing, plus a bit more wiring & box for an outlet to plug the pump into would be about it. As a DIY it's well under $100 for that additional bit.

In locations that have rebate subsidies for this type of equipment it's common for contractors to bump their margins a bit (human nature being what it is). Many rebate subsidies only apply if the existing water heater being replaced is a plain old electric tank.
----
That helps explain the price! And yes, I'm expecting considerable savings on not having to run our basement dehumidifiers as frequently. I love it when for a change, systems work together. Nice bonus. One day, of course, we'll have the heat from our refrig/freezer being used to help our hot water, and more like that.

Good heads up on the rebate. Checked with PSEG, and that's fortunately not a requirement here. And thanks for the condensate pump info. I have a sink water pump down there. I just need to get the water from the heater to that, about 25' away.

I appreciate your thorough response! I'm going to pull the trigger now.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks