Installing kitchen sink drain

Users who are viewing this thread

sgc

Reaction score
I had new countertops installed with an undermount sink. The new sink is much deeper than my old sink. It's looking like the garbage disposal outlet will be lower than the drain. This is an older place and the pipe in the wall appears to be lead. Lowering the pipe is out of my skill range. At least for now, I'm going to eliminate the garbage disposal so I at least have a drain and maybe get some quotes on moving the pipe. My question is, how much vertical pipe does there need to be between the bottom of the sink and the P trap? It appears there is only a few inches. I have included a picture of the sink. I want to make sure it will drain properly.

Last edited by a moderator:

sgc

Reaction score
It's about 5.5 inches from the bottom of sink to the top of the trap opening. My disposal is close to fitting. The outlet of the disposal is about even or slightly above. When the elbow comes out of the disposal, it's a little bit lower than the trap. I'm guess I wouldn't be able to run a straight pipe out of the disposal with no trap? Would I be able to run a straight pipe then going into a trap forming a U in the drain? Or is there a compact disposal I can buy where the outlet would be less than 5.5" from the bottom of the sink?

Reach4

Reaction score
Last edited:

sgc

Reaction score
The output appears to be slightly higher than the drain but with the elbow on the disposal it brings it lower than the trap. It wouldn't run uphill but it would be pretty flat/horizontal into the trap. I should also note this is a single sink and not a double.

The garbage disposal isn't an absolute must have but I would like to keep it. I have to put some sort of drain as I cannot go with a kitchen sink. If I can't make something work with the disposal, I'll have to do a regular train and see about moving the pipe down.

sgc

Reaction score
Here's a picture of what I'm thinking. The garbage disposal would hook into one end and the drain in the other but the drain pipe would be above even or slightly below the disposal outlet.

Reach4

Reaction score
IMG_7.png
I marked Terry's drawing to illustrate. I think that you are saying A would be the same as B or A would be slightly lower.

IMG_6.png

https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?attachments/leaky_sink_1-jpg-jpg.10252/

Last edited:

sgc

Reaction score
I went ahead and installed the garbage disposal. I don't think it is optimal but it seems to work. If it doesn't, I'll switch it out.

Reach4

Reaction score
Looks nice. If you use a level, what is the difference in height?

Your trap seal looks like about 4 inches.

Tie the line from the dishwasher as high as you readily can.

Reach4

Reaction score
The grind chamber is full of water.
I think the trap arm will empty out. If the bottom of the exit from the disposal is no higher than the bottom of the trap arm, that exit from the disposal would empty too, no?

sgc

Reaction score
Does water shoot up from the sink when you turn the disposer on? The grind chamber is full of water. That Badger 5 won't last long!
No water shoots from the drain when it's running. Everything seems to work fine except after I got it installed, I realized the disposal is cracked. Every time I turn it on, it shoots water from this tiny crack. I put some plumber putty over it temporarily but it sucks going through all that work.

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
I had the same problem. If the bottom of the disposer pipe (B) is lower than the bottom of the p-trap (A) the disposer stays full of water. Mine worked okay like this for a while, until I eventually lowered the drain pipe. IF pipe B was higher, the only water sitting in the pipes would be in the p-trap.

IMG_7.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
If the bottom of the disposer pipe (B) is lower than the bottom of the p-trap (A) the disposer stays full of water.
The lower part of the disposer is the motor. There is a seal to keep the water out.
disposer-cross-section_110_hr.jpeg
If water did get down to the motor area, I think it would leak out of the case.

Fortunately sgc's outlet is not lower than the trap arm.

sgc

Reaction score
The crack is about directly opposite of the outlet in the middle ring. Judging by that diagram, it makes sense why the water only leaks when the disposal is on.

Reach4

Reaction score
No water shoots from the drain when it's running. Everything seems to work fine except after I got it installed, I realized the disposal is cracked. Every time I turn it on, it shoots water from this tiny crack. I put some plumber putty over it temporarily but it sucks going through all that work.
Dang. That would be an advantage of the Moen disposers; they come with a power cord installed. Changing the cord out is probably a significant amount of the effort in swapping out a failed Badger, if you don't change the mounting ring.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks