Installing forced hot water baseboard in basement on a steam boiler.

Users who are viewing this thread

Canton

Plumber
Reaction score
I have a friend who wants to put heat in the cellar of his house. He has a steam boiler piped in the Hartford loop configuration, the condensate drops down from the above radiatiors into a 1" copper line that pitches back to the boiler. My question is, can I tap into the lowest point of the boiler, put a pump (with aqua-stat) and check valve and run forced h.w baseboard around the cellar?

Dubldare

Plumber/Gasfitter
Reaction score
No, by no means should that be done.

Electric baseboard would be way cheaper than a correctly installed steam/hot water converter.

Finnegan

Reaction score
ou can run a short length of hot water baseboard off of a steam boiler. However, you should get an experienced steam guy in there to do it. There is not a ton of info on the web about this, but it is out there. If your heat demand for your basement is significant, you can use a hot water heater in place of a boiler as a cheap alternative to a boiler.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
It's a basement, not a living room. What if you put a steam radiator or fin-tube system high enough on the wall so it would drain back to the boiler?

Or run steam to a heat exchanger and pump the hot water from the water side of the heat exchanger around the room.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
hw heat

What you are asking can be done, but it takes a bit more than what you are asking. I doubt that it would be a DIY setup, since an improper installation could affect the rest of the system.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks