Installing DOMJSO double-sink without countertop on a single 36" cabinet

Users who are viewing this thread

stanlx

Reaction score
Hi, hopefully I am posting in the correct forum. I bought a double-sink bowl ikea sink. This was before I found out all the potential issues that might come around because of the fact its Ikea sinks and not american made. At this point I already invested a lot of time and already drilled extra holes in the cabinet which makes it non-returnable.

The official instructions have 2 main points:
1- includes countertop, sink sits on top of it
2- has other cabinets on each side of the 36" cabinet where the sink sits.

For me, there's not enough space for more than 1 cabinet, so I just have the main 36" cabinet. I also figured since it's a standalone, there's no point in the countertop. The sink covers pretty much the whole area. Now with it I have my doubts about stability and longevity.

One thing I did was replace the flimsy legs supplied with twp 2"x2.5"x36" pine boards on 3 sides. The front has 2 of them stacked for a height of 5" and length 36", and the sides have same with 18" in length. Now I want to figure out how to make the cabinet support the sink better. The sink is very heavy, over a 100lbs. Now adding to it all the potential stuff that can be in the 2 sinks I'm worried about whether the ikea cabinet can take it.

My next improvement:
- Change the cardboard backing for a plywood sheet (cut out space for the valves)
- Talk to Ikea about missing braces that are supposed to come with the sink

Thoughts:
- I want to add some kind of extra support in the cabinet. I was thinking of some kind of metal corner brackets between the plywood and the sides (not sure if this would add that much).
- Another option I was thinking of getting 2x2 (or 2x4 or something similar), cutting it to size between the bottom of the cabinet and the bottom of the sink to add support. I would need to do 4x of these. The downside is that I would not be able to do a drawer at that point, but longevity/stability is of course more important.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks