Installing casing

Users who are viewing this thread

TJanak

Reaction score
Very cool.

Some of the guys around here are going to PVC cased wells up to 18" in diameter. Most of the newer ones are around 800' I'd guess. Know of one that went in a couple years ago making around 4000 GPM. There is some apprehension on using PVC for these large wells, I guess time will tell.

Boycedrilling

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yes I’ve talked with some drillers in California that are using 16” and 17.4” OD PVC casing. It’s actually more expensive per foot than the steel. But it’s much faster to install.

A joint of 18” steel casing would take 45 minutes to an hour to weld together with one person welding. I use two welders, so we cut that time in half. It might take 5 minutes to connect a piece of the large diameter PVC casing.

Boycedrilling

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have used Butt fused HDPE for pipe lines. I even have a fusing machine. So I am familiar with it. I think that it’s an excellent pipeline material.

The first problem that comes to mind is collapse strength of HDPE. Most types of pipe are designed to contain internal Pressures. They have limited collapse strengths from external pressure. I have seen steel pipe collapse from external pressure during cementing. This is also a problem with PVC pipe if cement grout is used. The strength of pvc pipe is very dependent on temperature, the heat of hydration from cement curein can weaken PVC casing so much that it collapses. I have measured temperatures over 150 degrees inside casing as the cement cures.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks