Installing an outdoor garden valve faucet

Users who are viewing this thread

LeeNat

Reaction score
This probably should be a no brainer but ……….

Anyway, I hate to screw things up so going to ask this in case I am not thinking properly.

I understand how to take the old one off and put the new one on but I am confused in deciding just how far onto the pipe nipple coming out of the house I need to go with the new faucet ( Valve ).
Do you have to tighten in on until you can't screw it on anymore and if so what if it's not aligned the way it should be wouldn't unscrewing it until it is aligned properly screw up the pipe dope you put on the threads?
Kinda, not understanding that part. Surely you don't have to count the number of turns onto the nipple in a dry run before you put the dope on. Or do you?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Threading onto tapered pipe threads has some leeway as to how far you can turn it and maintain a seal. We don't do them as tight as we can, we do them tight enough. We stop at a good place.

LeeNat

Reaction score
Threading onto tapered pipe threads has some leeway as to how far you can turn it and maintain a seal. We don't do them as tight as we can, we do them tight enough. We stop at a good place.
Thank you so much Terry. That tells me exactly what I needed to know to give me the knowledge to do it myself.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks