Installing a washer drain without an additional pump.

Users who are viewing this thread

Nick--L

Reaction score
Hello, I was refereed to your forum from TOH forums... My question is:
I will be installing a front loading washing machine about 6 to 7 feet away from the drain. The manufacturer says the unit will pump 96 inches vertically. My install will require about 66 inches. so about 66 inches above washer I will install the drain which needs to travel 6/7 feet to the wall where i can install a trap and connect to the drain line for the home.
1.Is 2" drain pipe the correct size
2. what is the pitch i need in the drain line
3. should i install a check valve at the washer output
4. I was thinking of hard plumbing the washer output to the drain,(no air will be able to enter the line) and installing a sure -vent air admittance valve in the pitched run as soon as I have the clearance to do so.
Does any of this make sense.... I would appreciate any suggestions you have....

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Not sure if it would be allowed to direct connect the WM to the drain pipe. Code wants a stand pipe above the p-trap, and unless your ceiling is much higher than normal, I"m not sure you could get the minimum length stand pipe plus the p-trap at the height you are indicating. I don't think you need a check valve in the WM drain pipe.

Nick--L

Reaction score
Not sure if it would be allowed to direct connect the WM to the drain pipe. Code wants a stand pipe above the p-trap, and unless your ceiling is much higher than normal, I"m not sure you could get the minimum length stand pipe plus the p-trap at the height you are indicating. I don't think you need a check valve in the WM drain pipe.
Thanks for the quick response. Once the drain travels the 6 or 7 feet to the outside wall, I would be about 1-2 feet away from a vertical drain that goes into the floor. It runs from the kitchen plumbing to the sewer drain. The WM drain I want to add would be close to ceiling height. I was assuming I could use a 2" /foot pitch on the drain, getting me to about 6 feet above the floor. Does knowing that help with a solution.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
That drain line would still need a p-trap, stand pipe, AND a new vent. Once the pipe becomes a drain, it cannot also be used as a vent. That means that you'll have to run a new pipe up high enough in the house above the existing drains above it on that line until you've met code which is 42" above the floor OR 6" above the flood rim, whichever is higher. The vent does not need to be dedicated, it can be plumbed into an existing one and not individually go all the way to the roof (it might be easier to vent it in the attic to an existing one, for example).

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
A proper installation will pass a building/plumbing inspection, and work fine for 100 or more years.
What you are proposing will not be likely to do either.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks