installing a sub panel

Users who are viewing this thread

projectorguru

Reaction score
A friend of mine is finishing his basement, and when the new house was built a year ago, he had a pre-wire for a sub panel down there. Anyway his main panel has 2, 50A breakers, and the wire is bugged off in the basement in a JB. i did not check the wire yet to make sure its #6 or #4 yet, but I was wondering if there is any issues with splicing off the JB and then goin to the new sub panel?

480sparky

In the Trades
Reaction score
As long as the jbox is large enough, the devices you use are listed for the size of wire you have, and the jbox is accessible when you are finished, it's perfectly OK.

projectorguru

Reaction score
Really? Here you can't have a junction on the feed to a sub-panel - it has to be a continuous run of wire.

That was my point, I thought code was it has to be continuous, but I couldn't find it anywhere. Also they used 2 50 amp breakers which i though was wrong as well

480sparky

In the Trades
Reaction score
The NEC does not prohibit spicing feeders, so it must be a local amendment.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks