Installing a sub-panel in a boathouse

Users who are viewing this thread

_greg_

Reaction score
I live in NE Alabama and am building a boathouse. Part of the dock is built on 6" I-beams driven into the lake bed and has wood decking on top, the boathouse is being built on wooden pilings. I plan to install a 60 amp GFIC at the service box for the home, then run 3, #4 THWN wires and a #8 ground in pvc approx 160' to a sub panel located at the boathouse and use regular breakers there (I will have 6 or less breakers). I will keep the ground and neutral separate at the sub panel. After pouring over the NEC and reading an article on here by jwelectric I still have a few questions.
I understand the height location requirements of the sub-panel, but can a weather-proof sub panel be located on one of the supports for the roof? (there will not be a wall, just a roof).
Most of the info I can find about Equipotential Plane is for outdoor pools or spas. Do I just bond the I-beams together then drive a ground rod (1/2" water pipe no less that 5' long) next to an I-beam and run a #8 copper ground from the bonded I-beams and ground rod to the sub panel ground?
The NEC talks about having the Equipotential Plane extend 36" around the disconnect, which I believe in my case, would be the sub-panel?
Does that mean that there should be an Equipotential Plane on the wooden deck directly under the sub-panel?
Thanks for your expertise
greg

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Grounding is like venting for plumbing, it seems so simple but it does get complicated. Please follow this link, there is a post on dock wiring.
https://terrylove.com/forums/index....ring-after-lake-shock-from-dock-wiring.76077/

Was the dock built from an engineered set of approved plans specific for this site? That is a local engineering firm designed it. If yes, then call them up and ask for the electrical engineer about bonding all steel beams to a ground rod with these beams in the water. If no plans, still call on an engineering firm. Maybe a call to the building department of your local jurisdiction. When it comes to an electrical inspection you do not want to do it rewire.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks