Installing a sink for toddler

Users who are viewing this thread

ben9988

Reaction score
Hi All,

After another evening of fighting my daughter to wash her hands, resulting in her thrashing and throwing water across my entire kitchen, I thought that it might be better to simply build her a small sink like she has at her daycare so that she may wash her hands herself without need for a fussy father holding her over the kitchen sink.

My plan was to build a custom short 'vanity', affix a sink top to it, and then run some lines from my main sink to the faucet and then from the sink drain to the waste. The problem is that the sink will be short enough that it falls below the level of the waste pipe drain. My plan was to get a pump to pump the waste water out, similar to what I'd do if I wanted a sink below grade in a basement. My question to you guys was threefold:
  1. Is my plan feasible? I think the pump will probably work, but is it possible to do this without needing the pump? I'd rather not cut open the walls to modify the existing piping since it's a new house, and I'm not that confident in my DIY abilities for that type of work.
  2. I found these three pumps that seem to fit the bill. There's the liberty 404, a burcam 300514W, and a Hydromatic HPUSP125. Links are below. What are the pluses and minuses of these, and which would you go with? I liked the bur cam and hydromatic based on price and the fact that I didn't seem to need a local trap and I don't have to worry about venting. However, the liberty seems like it would be higher quality (but what to do with the vent?)
  3. Do you have a good place (or perhaps even a Terry Love affiliate link) where I should purchase the pump and other parts if that ends up being the way I go?
http://www.libertypumps.com/Product/Model-404
http://www.burcam.com/files/Web/Instructions/Anglais/300514W.pdf
http://www.hydromatic.com/ResidentialProduct_hy_sp_af_hpusp125.aspx

Thanks!

Last edited:

ben9988

Reaction score
Yeah, we tried that, but even with the stool, she can't reach the faucet handle and doesn't like the stool.

Besides, the stool isn't as much fun :)

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
Sounds like a lot of work and expense for something that will not be used a lot and will be outgrown in a year or two.
+1 for Smooky's suggestion.

Reach4

Reaction score
Sounds like a lot of work and expense for something that will not be used a lot and will be outgrown in a year or two.
It sounds like a nice father-daughter project.

A Jonti-Craft , 26" Child Height Portable Sink, Plastic Sink Basin could be an alternative. Click inbox above.

Last edited:

ben9988

Reaction score
+1 for Smooky's suggestion.

LOL...you must not have kids. Everything is a lot of work and expense that will be outgrown in a year or two.

In any case, I don't think it's much expense. $10 for some plywood, another few bucks for pipes/water feed cables, and $50 for a sink. I already have all the tools, so really the only expense is the pump, which I am looking now to get used. Besides, projects like this are fun to me and I get to learn.

Thanks for the link, Reach. That's a neat idea.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks