Installing a Samsung Dishwasher with existing Johnson Tee

Users who are viewing this thread

SeattleBrad

Reaction score
I'm replacing an older Kenmore dishwasher that is currently connected to a Johnson Tee. The house was built in 1976 and it's an original "feature". I have two issues that I'm looking for advice on.

1. The new Samsung unit DW80K7050US has a larger diameter drain hose than the Kenmore and it requires a 1" or 5/8" fitting. The Johnson Tee fitting protruding from the wall is 1/2".
  2. The entire Samsung units tub sits directly on the floor and does not provide space for the excess drain hose to be coiled up. The Kenmore tub sits a few inches above the floor on an open frame (motor and electronics are in this cavity) so the drain hose is easily coiled up and stored underneath.
I can't buy a different dishwasher (wife said so) and I can't cut a hole in my countertop (half the cost of the dishwasher) to install an air gap device above the sink.

Does anyone has a suggestion as to how I can make this work and maintain code compliance in Seattle, WA?

Thanks!
Brad

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The hose will fit 7/8" at the end, and farther in it fits 5/8". It's designed to fit either onto a disposer inlet, or to an air-gap inlet or 1/2" copper.
So if you "were" to be installing with an air-gap on the counter, the hose would fit onto the small inlet of the air gap, and the air gap large outlet would take the 7/8" hose by gravity down to the disposer or separate p-trap for that purpose.
Since you have a stone counter-top, which can be drilled for an air-gap but seems to be rarely done nowadays, you can loop the discharge hose as high as you can under the counter top before attaching to the disposer, which will have had the plug on the inlet knocked out and cleared by you.

If you don't use the 1/2" drain for the Johnson Tee, it should be capped off.

air_gap_dearborn.jpg

Dearborn Air-Gap

johnson_tee_b.jpg

Johnson Tee

king-county-dw-1.jpg

Last edited:

SeattleBrad

Reaction score
I don't have a disposal under the sink. It's currently a straight pipe from the sink's drain to a p-trap. I could replace it with a straight-pipe that has a 'tail' for a dishwasher' but then I'm no longer using the Johnson Tee that's behind the dishwasher and it won't have air gap required per code.

sinkp-trap.jpg

Are you sure about the Samsung drain hose fitting onto the Johnson Tee? The instructions say it's for 5/8" or 1" connections and the hose diameter is definitely larger than the Kenmore machines drain hose.

instructions.jpg

If the Samsung Drain hose would fit onto the Johnson Tee behind the dishwasher, is is possible to cut the drain hose so it's shorter and easier to coil in the small 5" channel at the lower rear of the dishwasher? I couldn't get a straight answer out of Samsung when I called and spoke with them.
rear-dw.jpg
underkenmore1.jpg
underkenmore2.jpg

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
That Samsung DW probably drains faster than your old Kenmore. If you reduce the drain line on the Samsung down to 1/2 you may create a new problem. I would abandon the copper connection and add a DW drain fitting to the sink drain. You would loop the DW drain line up high under the sink so the line creates its own loop (like shown in the bottom photo).

Reach4

Reaction score
I would reduce it down, and see what happens. I predict success. I am not a pro.

That Johnson Tee thing sounds a lot nicer than an over-sink air gap.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
"The instructions say it's for 5/8" or 1" connections"

Pretty much what I said above. I also said 5/8" on the small end that you find farther into the end of the drain hose of the dishwasher.
That means a 1/2" inside diameter pipe that it connects to.

The large end is for a disposer connection.

You can also buy tees for either size. Some fit right to the basket.

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
It was a poor choice by someone to put the drain hose connection behind the DW, rather than in an adjacent sink
cabinet (as is shown by the photo posted by Terry above). The run of 1/2 copper pipe (5/8 actual OD!) should be altered to rectify that situation.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks