Installing a recirculating pump. Have questions?

Users who are viewing this thread

1BadF350

DIY Junior Member
Reaction score
When we had our house built, I had the plumbing company install a recirculating line and stub it out the wall and put a ball valve on it so it could be closed off. Today I went and bought the grundfos pump along with 2 check vales..

The cold water supply line going into the water heater is 3/4" and the hot water line coming out of the heater is also a 3/4" both lines have threaded ball valves and then the stainless steel braided lines feed the water heater..
The very last faucet is the bath room in my daughters room, and under the house at that point the hot water line goes from 3/4" and is reduced down to 1/2" and then runs all the way back to the garage and stubs out the wall about 16" away from the other hot water lines.

Could someone be kind enough to tell me how to install this pump? I would would prefer not to install it through the drain valve of the water heater unless there is a benifical reason..
I am very good at sweating copper joints, so that is not an issue for me, just want to make sure place in correct location and get the check valves in the correct locations also...
1 other question, should I install one of the pressure tanks? or city code does not require on, but if its benifical, I would rather do it now, versus later.
Thank you for all you help in advance.
Chuck

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You can put the recirc into the incoming cold, as long as the incoming has a check valve.

I prefer to remove the drain, and reinstall using a tee, and putting the recirc in there.
That way it turns over the whole tank, which winds up giving you more heated water.

If you have a pressure reducer or check valve, then you should have an expansion tank.
Go ahead and install one.

1BadF350

DIY Junior Member
Reaction score
Terry,
Thank you for the reply, I just went and looked at the hot water heater, and if putting the pump so its pumping the return water back into the bottom of the heater creates more hot water, I will install it there.
Is this diagram on grundfos website an ok analogy of what you are suggesting? http://www.grundfos.com/web/homeus.nsf/Webopslag/PAVA-53RM5Z also, if I add a pressure tank would I put it on the return side? or where is the correct location?
Also, can someone tell me what that piece is in the return line? after the last fixture and abbove the word sensor when it flashes?

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You don't need an expansion tank unless you have a PRV or a checkvalve that would block expansion out back into the main.

Doherty Plumbing

Journeyman & Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Terry,
Thank you for the reply, I just went and looked at the hot water heater, and if putting the pump so its pumping the return water back into the bottom of the heater creates more hot water, I will install it there.
Is this diagram on grundfos website an ok analogy of what you are suggesting? http://www.grundfos.com/web/homeus.nsf/Webopslag/PAVA-53RM5Z also, if I add a pressure tank would I put it on the return side? or where is the correct location?
Also, can someone tell me what that piece is in the return line? after the last fixture and abbove the word sensor when it flashes?

You would install in on the cold feed into the tank.

Dcelite

Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.merchantcircle.com
Sure makes it easier to replace the water heater when it's plumbed into the top. I don't know what that fitting is in the drawing. You don't need anything there unless you put a ball valve to isolate the pump for future repair.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks