Installing a New Shower

Users who are viewing this thread

Soulhydration

Reaction score
Hi Folks!

I'm installing a new shower and need some help on figuring out how to run the PVC. The old shower was run improperly, reduced to 1 1/2 and no p-trap that I could tell (looked like a running or s trap). We took all of that out. We are taking it back to 2 inch and installing a p-trap right under the shower drain.

My question is how do I hook in the drain line to a horizontal run( about 30+" away) and still vent it properly? I have attached the following photos. Do I use a double WYE with one pointed flat or slightly up to connect the shower drain>p-trap and then another WYE after that pointed up towards to vent?

So it goes Stack to WYE that runs the existing horizontal run. Then a vented sink drops to my drain line. After this is where I would install 2" PVC pipe to replace the existing 1 1/2 pipe. See my marked up photos to help describe this.

See photos:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6O7fumuZ2a6NmFVT1FsdTJpVWM

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6O7fumuZ2a6ZFN4c1U0cUVqMEk

Thanks!

Dgeist

Reaction score
The 30" should be fine for a 2" drain if it's sloped properly. You could tie into that horizontal with a wye on its side (or even better a combo wye with a long sweep). The tricky bit is the vent. If that part on the right that you have labeled as "vent" serves to drain another fixture in the same bath group, then it looks to be a legal wet vent. make the bottom of it a combo wye on its back and use the top of the wye as a cleanout, just like you had in the second picture. If it's JUST a vent, then you can't have the section upstream of the connection from your shower running less than 45 degrees from horizontal. You might be able to go immediately into a 45 degree elbow then make another 45 where it passes through the floor. Difficult to tell from the photo if you'd have enough room for that, though.

Soulhydration

Reaction score
Ok, looking at the photo the connection on the left is sink drain line that is vented. The connection on the right is a vent line only. (The two vent lines do connect upstairs of course.) I'm not sure I follow the second part. So what your saying is that I can't have a vent only line upstream from the shower connection? I'm understanding that right?

Last edited:

Dgeist

Reaction score
Vents must either drain naturally by gravity (45 degrees or above if it makes a connection to a drain in that segment) or if it's a "wet vent" it must be regularly flushed (like being the drain of a lavatory sink which has a dry vent above it). The way it's plumbed now, there's the possibility of having waste block the section of pipe that's only supposed to carry air and prevent it from performing the venting function. Dry vents should only run horizontally when they are well above the "spill point" of the highest fixture they serve, such that if a complete drain backup ever occurred...the vent would stay clear instead of shooting waste backup all around your venting system into the backs of other fixtures, etc.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks