installing 2 garbage disposals

Users who are viewing this thread

jerry saunders

Reaction score
I am installing 2 garbage disposals (1/2 hp, Insinkerator) under one double-sink. I would like some help determining how to plumb the sinks/dispoal.

TedL

Reaction score
Apparently none of you actually clean up a sink.

When I remodeled the kichen in my last house, I put a powerful disposal on the half bowl and an small, inexpensive one on the large bowl....to get rid of the food particles that wind up in it.

I find it a PITA to clean out the particles that wind up in the large bowl. For $25, I got rid of that in the old house.

TedL

Reaction score
Or......they use one bowl for dirty stuff and the other one for clean stuff. :rolleyes:

Clean stuff?:confused: Our clean stuff goes from the dishwasher into the cabinet, not the sink. That's a strange custom, only putting clean dishes into one side of a two bowl sink.

We thought our preschoolers were doing well putting their dirty dishes into the sink. They couldn't reach the faucet to rinse their bowls & plates into the small side of the sink.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
sink

I have never installed two disposers, and have never had anyone complain about particles in the other sink. I guess they learned to rinse the dishes in the disposer side. But if any particles did get into the sink with a strainer, they accumulated in the basket and it was dumped "somewhere".

TedL

Reaction score
Just one of life's little conveniences that's nice to have, and missed if taken away. I got thirteen years out of that $25 disposal, and it was still working when we sold the house. And my wife misses it now.

For a couple bucks a year, I'll put in a second one when I redo this kitchen.

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
Clean stuff?:confused: Our clean stuff goes from the dishwasher into the cabinet, not the sink. That's a strange custom, only putting clean dishes into one side of a two bowl sink.

Pots, pans, knives and plastics get handwashed.

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
Yes, some of my steak knifes are wood handles. But pans with teflon coatings and such don't go in the dishwasher (with heat cycle on). Plastics are not good to expose to heat.

I actually don't know anyone with 2 bowl sinks that fill up both bowls with dirty dishes on a regular basis.

TedL

Reaction score
Yes, some of my steak knifes are wood handles. But pans with teflon coatings and such don't go in the dishwasher (with heat cycle on). Plastics are not good to expose to heat.

I actually don't know anyone with 2 bowl sinks that fill up both bowls with dirty dishes on a regular basis.

How often do you inquire of their dish stacking habits, or pull a surprise inspection of their sinks?

You say the Teflon/Silverstone pans go on the stove, but avoid the heat of the dishwasher? The logic escapes me.

In any case, you sound like you have two equal size bowls. We prefer the large/small combination, in which the small gets the traditional disposal, but the large collects the dirty dishes waiting to go into the dishwasher. Along with the scraps on them.

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
Yes, two equal size bowls. As far as the teflon stuff when I used to put them in the dishwasher it seemed the teflon didn't last as long. I figured it was the detergent followed up by the heat. I've never pulled suprise "inspections" on friends, just what I noticed over the years, maybe I've got cleanfreak friends - I never was until my wife "turned" me.

AdrianMariano

Reaction score

We only hand wash the sharp knives, things with wood on them, and the stuff that doesn't fit in the dishwasher. But often both sinks will up with dirty dishes when the dishwasher is full. We have one large bowl and one small bowl. (Use to be two equal sized bowls but that was terrible because the stuff that didn't fit in the dishwasher didn't fit in the sink either!) Of course if the dishwasher is available everything goes straight into the dishwasher; we aren't scraping food into the sink or rinsing stuff off first.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks