Installed new kitchen spout but now

Users who are viewing this thread

hayley3

Reaction score
but now I have a drip. I tightened the nut again so not sure why it's dripping.

I read that it's normally the handle is the cause of drips but it wasn't dripping until I replaced the spout and the aerator.

Any help appreciated. :)

Thanks,
Cheryl

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Are you referring to the shutoff at the wall supplying the faucet? Sometimes the stem where it passes through the bonnet nut will drip after they have been moved. I open them up all the way and then back in a bit. If it drips after that, I snug the bonnet nut a bit.
Sometimes that won't work and the next step is replacing the shutoff. On a kitchen faucet replacement, it's often a good idea to at least replace the hot shutoff because the deteriorated rubber washer that can float bits of rubber up into the valve.

hayley3

Reaction score
No I'm talking about the faucet spout. Moen lets you replace just the spout. The threads broke on my old spout.

You seat the spout into the faucet and then tighten the black nut. The old one was stainless but the new one is plastic. and then I'm not sure what the white thing is. After that I screw on the stainless collar which covers it all.

Attachments

• Spout 3 nut.JPG
    Spout 3 nut.JPG
    67.4 KB · Views: 129
  • Spout 2.JPG
    Spout 2.JPG
    66.7 KB · Views: 127
  • Spout 1.JPG
    Spout 1.JPG
    68.7 KB · Views: 118

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
There may be an O-ring in there somewhere, and you should probably replace that if you didn't already. It can also help, if the spout can swivel, to lube it all up with some silicone plumbers grease. Other than that, you may need to snug up that black nut a bit more.

hayley3

Reaction score
Thanks..There was a rubber o ring and a plastic o ring...I guess that's what the white plastic thing is called. I can show you the old spout which is next to the new spout. The old spout had the o rings on, but the new spout didn't have the new o rings on yet when I took the picture.

I found out the hard way that I needed to use plumber's grease to lube it up, cause it would barely move left and right. :)

Attachments

• Moen replacement 2.JPG
    Moen replacement 2.JPG
    122.4 KB · Views: 119

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
WIthout sufficient grease on the O-rings, you might have damaged them or caused them to move out of position.

There may have been some mineral buildup in the area where the O-ring seals that needs to be cleaned up before it will seal properly.

THe plastic ring may be a spacer washer. Can't tell from here. It may make the spout more stable from bending while swiveling it. Or, if it's on the bottom, acts like a friction reducer so it isn't metal on metal as it can move independently.

Last edited:

hayley3

Reaction score
Thanks....I had to add the grease because it wouldn't move so it was shortly after that I had to take it back off and lube it...so no damage I could see.
So I guess my question is, is it possible for it to be dripping if the nut is not tight enough? I am not very strong but I used a pair of vice grips to tighten it more but as I said it's plastic and not metal like the old one.

ImOld

Octogenerian
Reaction score
'Im Old' so maybe I missed exactly where the drip is located. Is it from the base connection or is it from the end of the spout where water normally emanates from? Vise grips? I don't think so!

hayley3

Reaction score
It's dripping from the spout end where it comes out to fill your glass of water...it's a very slow drip too. What is wrong with vise grips? I'm old too and I have very little strength so without those I would not have got it on at all. :)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks