Installed new Fluidmaster fill valve and flapper but water still runs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Find the clip for the hose going to the overflow tube, and move the hose so that the end is above the top rim. You cannot safely have that hose stuffed down the overflow. It tends to cause siphoning. Does the level of the hose now match the height where the water stops dropping? If so, that's your problem.

Reach4

Reaction score
There's your remaining problem. The refill tube should have its end held above the drain pipe by a clip. If you look back at the posts on this thread, particularly #8, you will see that information several times. This does not mean that replacing your flush valve was unnecessary. Before that, the water level would sink all of the way down. Now it only falls a short way, but enough to activate the fill valve to top the level back up.

Your water is siphoning down the overflow through that black refill tube. The Fluidmaster 218 includes that clip.
218_RefillTubeClip_Product_530x530-150x150.png

Last edited:

Heather Henry

Reaction score
hey guys... It's me again. Thanks so much for all your previous help.
So everything was good with my toilet for about a month and now the handle sticks. Meaning once you flush it, sometimes I have to physically pull the handle back up so it stops running. I am having to do it more often than not. The handle was not changed previously. Thought I'd ask you guys what you thought before I started watching some YouTube videos. Should I just buy a new handle?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks