Installation costs/10/3 wire specs-good?

Users who are viewing this thread

PaulaK

Reaction score
this has been a long journey trying to find my way... I picked the Grundfos 10s15-21 1 ph 230v 3 wire with control capacitor/ csv1a/ 14 gallon pressure tank, 10/3 wire. No one around here stocks these pumps. An installer wanted 1600 for the pump and i can get it online for 1025. He said he would charge for labor to install 1500: 30' from well to brick wall and 50' to wire that has a disconnect attached to a 10/2 wire that goes to 30 amp breaker box that used to be used for an electric water heater. I would need to get the pump wire, pump, tank, valve etc. There is a control box deluxe for 100 more than the standard with magnetic contractor to close circuit to benefit motor somehow. Is this worth it?

It seems a lot for an install to me. He said it's a dollar a foot to lower the pump, so 340. that leaves 1160 for the labor. Does this sound like a normal price? Living in TN

found 500' of 10/3 wire online for 466 (includes shipping) these are the specs below. is this good stuff?
Thanks guys for your help!!!!!!!
  • APPLICATIONS Suitableforuseasfollows:
    • For use in residential, farm and industrial water well applications

• Grounded and ungrounded water well cable systems CONSTRUCTION
    • Premium 600 volt cable featuring solid and stranded copper conductors with a moisture resistant plastic insulation

• Conductors are twisted and colored black, red, and yellow when supplied with three conductors and green ground

• Cable is supplied without a jacket over the insulated conductors STANDARDS & REFERENCES

• Industry standard for electrical submersible pumping (ESP) water systems • Meets NEC® code for submersible pump grounding requirements
      • UL Standard 83

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
You do realize that your installer makes a profit on the materials he provides & I nstalls and when you provide the materials, he loses that profit? That profit buys his advertising, insurance, licensing, phone, office/shop rental, vehicles, vehicle registrations & maintanence, groceries AND funds his retirement. When he quotes you that rate for labor, he is making adjustments for his loss of profit(s).

As a matter of policy, we don't install owner provided materials because we lose out on the profit and more importantly, when and if the materials you supply fail, you are going to want me to warranty them. Case in point, we installed a pump a few weeks back that didn't run on start up. If that happens on your job are you willing to pay more for labor? With materials provided by the installer, he eats the time, not you.

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yep. If you want to save money and DIY you cannot expect your installer go give you "on-line" prices. DIY means you do everything yourself. Consider yourself lucky you have found somebody who will even do the work.

PaulaK

Reaction score
You do realize that your installer makes a profit on the materials he provides & I nstalls and when you provide the materials, he loses that profit? That profit buys his advertising, insurance, licensing, phone, office/shop rental, vehicles, vehicle registrations & maintanence, groceries AND funds his retirement. When he quotes you that rate for labor, he is making adjustments for his loss of profit(s).

As a matter of policy, we don't install owner provided materials because we lose out on the profit and more importantly, when and if the materials you supply fail, you are going to want me to warranty them. Case in point, we installed a pump a few weeks back that didn't run on start up. If that happens on your job are you willing to pay more for labor? With materials provided by the installer, he eats the time, not you.
This installer doesn't warrant his work. If something goes wrong, you start from scratch paying him full for labor for whatever he does. The only place he could get it was from a wholesaler and that guy would have to order it, they don't keep tham in stock. so what is the big deal? I'm the one doing the work ordering all the stuff. He comes and puts it down the well etc. Only checking on the install, not really wanting all the trash backlash. You have a good day.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Doesn't warranty his work.....are you sure he's qualified, knowledgable, licensed & insured?

You usually get just exactly what you pay for.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I agree it is not unusual for an installer to charge that much. That is probably about how much he would make if he sold you all the equipment. And I would agree he shouldn't have to warranty products he didn't sell. But he should take responsibility for and warranty anything he sells. If he doesn't, I would be suspect of his qualifications and integrity. However, I think you are wise to have done your own research and figured out what you want. As an installer I would probably have to charge a little more to install a brand that was not from my main supplier. But I would be able to get any brand you want, just may have to work with a different supplier and pay a bit more.

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
It's difficult to know what is too high or too low without seeing the job and knowing all the details. I'm sure he is probably building a little extra in since you're supplying the parts.

PaulaK

Reaction score
Thanks guys for the info. Ya, I know it would be higher for the install to make up for the profit he's missing out from the pump. Most installers in town are retired. I spoke with 2 about doing it this way. It's been a bit difficult, But I will succeed.
I agree it is not unusual for an installer to charge that much. That is probably about how much he would make if he sold you all the equipment. And I would agree he shouldn't have to warranty products he didn't sell. But he should take responsibility for and warranty anything he sells. If he doesn't, I would be suspect of his qualifications and integrity. However, I think you are wise to have done your own research and figured out what you want. As an installer I would probably have to charge a little more to install a brand that was not from my main supplier. But I would be able to get any brand you want, just may have to work with a different supplier and pay a bit more.

PaulaK

Reaction score
Thanks for your post. You've been helpful and fair. If I went with his $1600 pump price and had him do all the install supplying everything, then what is the customary warranty that you have spoken of. What could I expect from him to do free for me in the future for a pump that he doesn't stock but will buy from a wholesaler who has to order it himself? I ask because there are no reviews of the online pump "store" that sells these grundfos and i wouldn't want one to not work or be a refurbished sold as a new one. Any help is appreciated.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
The state of CT requires me to guaranty my work for a minimum one year, TN might be different. In addition, we warranty everything we install, no questions asked for one year. Grundfos dealers like myself warranty the pump & motor for five years. The exceptions would be if the pump failed due to running dry, excessive sediment or intentional abuse.

Truth be told, I bet the Grundfos dealer would warranty that pump to him even if he isn't a regular customer.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks