Install Upstairs Radiators, do I need valves?

Users who are viewing this thread

farmer_dave

Farmer in PA
Reaction score
I am a diy guy that has an old farm house currently with no upstairs heat (iron radiators were cast off by the last owner). To get heat to the 4 bedrooms and 1 bath upstairs I have been able to run 2 loops of 3/4 pex (4 pipes) to the upstairs bathroom where I will be able to make two separate loops to the bedrooms and bath. Being on a tight budget, I would like to install slantfin along the windows, but wonder about one bedroom overheating and one being too cold. Has anyone used thermostatic valves like the ones sold by http://www.mysoninc.com/client_imag...es/radiator_thermostaticvalves_listprices.pdf

My next step is to contact myson but thought I would ask here to get an unbiased opinion. Thanks for any info on thermostatic radiator valves.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Just put the baseboard in. You can control the output with the dampers on the baseboard.

Doherty Plumbing

Journeyman & Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I am a diy guy that has an old farm house currently with no upstairs heat (iron radiators were cast off by the last owner). To get heat to the 4 bedrooms and 1 bath upstairs I have been able to run 2 loops of 3/4 pex (4 pipes) to the upstairs bathroom where I will be able to make two separate loops to the bedrooms and bath. Being on a tight budget, I would like to install slantfin along the windows, but wonder about one bedroom overheating and one being too cold. Has anyone used thermostatic valves like the ones sold by http://www.mysoninc.com/client_imag...es/radiator_thermostaticvalves_listprices.pdf

My next step is to contact myson but thought I would ask here to get an unbiased opinion. Thanks for any info on thermostatic radiator valves.

I have not used that exact brand but I have used a very similar model and they worked quite well! I would definitely recommend them!

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
Great for balancing your system. I recommend them for your bedrooms. Bathroom would be optional (personal note: I would put them in the bathroom too)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks