Install tankless if only 1 water line

Users who are viewing this thread

santoperdido

Reaction score
One line in to the apartment, feeds all water outlets. Is there any way to install a tankless heater in this scenario? Thanks

Reach4

Reaction score
If I understood your question, I see two ways of going?
1. Put a tee in the incoming line to feed the water heater. Run additional new pipes for the new hot faucets.
2. Interupt the pipe at some point in the apartment and insert the water heater. Taps that were before the WH give cold. Taps after the water heater give hot.

If that does not answer your question, what is your question?

santoperdido

Reaction score
Unfortunately neither scenario would work without tearing up flooring and that's not going to happen (apartment isn't mine). I wasn't sure if I could install a heater where the line comes into the apartment (water in from the water input and then out to the apartment) where I could control the temperature enough to not have strictly hot water coming out. The attachment is a crude representation, but I hope the point gets across. Could I put a T in the incoming line before the water heater to branch off to the heater, and then T back into the water line after the water heater before the line enters the apartment? I would imagine the end result wouldn't be water that's very hot, but at least it wouldn't be cold.

Attachments

• wtrhtr.jpg
    wtrhtr.jpg
    3.1 KB · Views: 242

Reach4

Reaction score
Are you asking if the water heater can be located outdoors in a place where it does not freeze outside? There are water heaters that can do that.

Then I think you are suggesting that you heat the water to some warm but not hot temperature such as 99F /37C and run that to the apartment for everything. Yes, you could do that I would think. I don't know what water heaters let you adjust their output temperature that low. There are also thermostatic devices that mix cold and hot water to maintain a constant temperature. If the water heater did not adjust down far enough, a water heater followed by a mixing valve should work.

I have no experience doing these things.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
He's talking about a place that's only plumbed with cold water to all the fixtures. Not everybody has hot water where they live.
You would also need quite a bit of electricty to heat the water with. Do you even have enough in the main electrical panel for that?

Frankly, I've never seen anyone heat off the water for an apartment before. I have showered with cold in Belize and Guatemala.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you were trying to mix the hot and cold with that branching to a tankless, it probably wouldn't work right. Water will take the path of least resistance, and there may not be enough to trigger it to turn on, or if it does, it might overheat because of the lower flow. If you wanted to make it work and to temper the outlet, making all of the water warm verses hot or cold, you'd install a tempering valve after the tankless' outlet, and adjust the tempering valve to your desired outlet temp. Note, though, that the average tankless, because of internal restrictions, may ultimately reduce the total volume available in the building, which is probably not something you want to do. While hot water is a luxury, if the structure wasn't designed for it, it could be a major problem to introduce it later.

What might work if you want hot in various places is to install point of use heaters. The sum of them may mean your available power needs would go way up, and that would bring even significantly more costs.

If you just wanted something like a hot shower, there are systems that heat the water just for the shower - my sister has one in her flat in England that does that. It also has an internal pump to boost the pressure at the showerhead.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks