Install new water softener loop

Users who are viewing this thread

TSGarp007

Reaction score
I have a single story northeast Florida (Saint Johns County) home on a slab foundation built in 2003. I'm a bit shocked, but I have been unable to locate a main water shutoff valve anywhere on the house or on the outside perimeter of the house. Shouldn't that be required? Also, to my dismay, there is apparently no soft water loop installed. I need to install a water softener so I need access to the water before it starts branching off in the home.

The only pipes near the water heater are the cold water supply into the heater, and the hot water out. I even checked in the wall directly behind the water heater and there are no more pipes. All the pipes (CPVC) appear to be run in the slab.

I have two water meters, regular service and an irrigation meter. They are both located to the west side of the driveway. The NW exterior corner of the house is where the irrigation backflow preventer is located, as well as the irrigation system valve box. I don't know where the main water enters the house, but perhaps in this same area?

I need to get the water to inside the garage where I will place the water softener (next to the water heater). I will be able to run the drain line from the garage through the wall and air gap into the laundry sink. The question is how should I get the water to (and from) this location? I included a commented copy of the property survey. I'm open to any suggestions, it seems any answer may involve running the water into the attic and over to the garage, or going under the driveway to get to an exterior wall of the garage. There is a section of the driveway that is brick, I'm not sure if it is all dirt under that area, if so maybe I can trench that myself. The house exterior is brick, I'm sure a wall penetration could be done but I would have to figure out how (or hire someone). Alternative to penetration could be up into the soffit and down through the garage ceiling.

While this is for a water softener, it seemed to be more of a general plumbing or remodel type question since at this point I'm not worried about choosing a water softener, or water softener connections, just getting the water in place for a water softener.

I am attaching a commented copy of my property survey that should help with visualization of the problem.

Thanks in advance for any help!
uc

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks