Install garbage disposal in double sink

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by homey6660, Mar 25, 2005.

1. Capt Mat

Capt Mat New Member

This is how my garbage disposal is plumbed and when i use it it backs up into the other side of the sink, any suggestions?

2. James Henry

James Henry In the Trades

Plumber
    Let the water run in the sink for a few minutes without the disposal running and see if it backs up. If it does you have a clogged drain.

MASTERPLUMB777 and Dorothyburg like this.
  3. Anika_Homebuilder

Anika_Homebuilder New Member

Wow! greatly described with pictures!
    It was helpful.

4. Michael Young

Michael Young Active Member

What are you guys doing for sinks that are manufactured THICK. If you're installing to a sink with thick material, the four bolts that secure the flange won't sink. Then when you try to lock it in, you can't get the disposal locked to the collar. We'll typically use a port-a-band and just cut about a quarter inch off the bolts so they'll sink properly. Kinda a pain in the butt. Do you guys use a different method?

- Mike
    https://homeservicestriad.com/

5. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

Insinkerator offers an extended flange (10082)
    https://insinkerator.emerson.com/en-us/shop/insinkerator/insinkerator-extssflange

Expensive. https://www.homedepot.com/p/InSinkE...nkErator-Garbage-Disposals-FLG-SSLG/100443440 is the cheapest I found.

Michael Young likes this.
  6. Michael Young

Michael Young Active Member

7. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

Better!

Actually, I did not know what a port-a-band was. I had been imagining something other than a cutting tool.

8. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
    The better Insinkerator comes with both sets of bolts, short and standard.
    Pro 880LT is one I've used. So quiet I have to remember it's on.