Install garbage disposal 10” deep sink

Users who are viewing this thread

Rookiekie

Reaction score
My kitchen remodel is almost complete and I just realized that I have a big problem on my hands. I have a 10” undermount sink. It is NOW very clear to me that the wall outlet is too high to accommodate a garbage disposal. Am I just better off not installing the garbage disposal at this point? I am hoping that I can still install a dishwasher. Any suggestions on how to rescue this situation?

62DFBA90-91B1-4679-86E2-43AC148EF717.jpeg

badger-5-dimensions.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
With a disposer it would be 1.75" lower than your drain. You might have standing water, however when it's spun, much of that water will be forced down the drain.
So standing water in the bottom until it's turned on, and then most of it should be spun out.

I've been roughing in drains for 10" deep sinks at 16" above the kitchen floor.
You drain in the wall looks to be horizontal, so moving that down know would be tough. A drain that drops vertical I've opened up the wall and dropped the santee.

Reach4

Reaction score
I would think yes, go without the disposal.

Get a branch tailpiece to get the output of the air gap.

If you want a disposal

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I woudnt concider a disposal that sits with standing water . Bust open wall lower the pipe or ditch the disposal. next time my disposal quits im getting rid of it .

Rookiekie

Reaction score
Thank you, Terry. The drain is 19” above the finished floor. I don’t like that I will have standing water in the disposal (rust, foul odor etc.). Does any manufacturer sell a disposal or flange that can help in this situation by raising the disposal by an in inch or so? If not then I might just not install a disposal.

Do you think I still have enough height clearance to hookup dishwasher without worrying about the water coming up the sink?

Also, do I still need an airgap?

Thanks again for your advise!

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
yes install airgap. you'll likely need a wye branch flanged adapter to connect, because a slip joint one will take up too much height

branch-tailpiece-for-dw.jpg

Rookiekie

Reaction score
yes install airgap. you'll likely need a wye branch flanged adapter to connect, because a slip joint one will take up too much height
Can you please advise where can I buy a wye branch flange adapter? I can only find slip joint tailpiece at big box stores. I have decided to not install the garbage disposal so this is how the drain currently looks like.

rookieekie-01.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks