Install 3mm vinyl tiles....do I need bigger wax ring?

Users who are viewing this thread

French_guy

Reaction score
I have a small bathroom upstairs with mosaic tiles on the floor. It's perfectly sound, but grouts are washed and some are dirty
On top of it, I was thinking to replace the toilet (the lid is broken)
If I were to install vinyl tiles (like TrafficMaster Ceramica from HomeDepot - I will skim coat the floor 1st with Henry 549 to make it smooth), would i need a bigger wax ring since the floor will be ~3mm higher, or a regular was ring should be OK?
And what do you think about those "waxless" ring?
I do not know how is the flange, since I haven't removed the toilet yet

Thanks

Reach4

Reaction score
I am not a pro.

3 mm (under 1/8 inch) is a small difference. Yet if you pull the toilet and find the flange already recessed, there would seem to be some point where 3 mm more is going to matter.

Waxless rings like SaniSeal or Korky can be good especially for the less experienced. (I would avoid Fernco Wax Free) With wax you need to set the toilet down and not lift it later for installing shims. Read the directions. With a resilient ring, you can adjust easily. Shims are for making the toilet not rock and for some to also make the toilet level. Do some searching in this forum for discussions of shims.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks