inside fit 3" toilet flange and wax ring

Users who are viewing this thread

schak

Reaction score
I have a toilet flange that was roughed-in my concrete floor basement when my house was built. Now years later I’ve finished my basement and ready to install the toilet. Breaking the flange knock-out revealed that the flange was fitted inside a 3†ABS pipe, not outside. My problem now is the standard wax ring horn? will not fit inside the flange hole, it is too big.

Do they make a wax ring for flanges that fits inside a 3†pipe? Do you have any other suggestions of how I can make the toilet bowl work with the current toilet flange. I read somewhere that a 3†inside fit flange should work fine for a 1.6 gal/flush toilet, which is what I have.

TIA

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Dry fit the toilet over the bolts without a wax ring to make sure the toilet will fit it. Not all do!
Then if it does use a wax ring without the black plastic funnel. They cause more problems than they ever fixed and this problem you noticed is one of them.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
The do make flanges that will fit inside a 3" pipe, but they are not recommended. They cut the inside diameter of the drain too much. Also, get rid of the wax ring with the plastic horn. They cause problems and do absolutely no good. Just use a regular wax ring.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks