Inserting a Tee into an existing copper line

Users who are viewing this thread

darmstro

Reaction score
O' Great Plumbing Sages:

As am planning the routes for supply lines to my bar sink, I'm a bit cornfused about how to go about inserting a Tee into an existing supply line without having to undersolder joints that are east and west of where the Tee is to be inserted. Is it possible to insert a Tee into an existing supply line without having to unsolder existing joints that are east and west of the insertion point? The Tee will be insert about at about the midpoint of an existing eight foot run.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Most of the time, you can cut, and move the pipe enough to slide on in.
If not, you can always use some 90 el's and drop a section straight down with a dog leg.

Statjunk

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I typically cut the pipe to see how much shake there is in the copper. Then I'll remove the appropriate amount of copper that still allows me to get enough pipe in each end of the T to solder the joint.

Thanks for that tip Terry I'll keep it in mind if I ever get into a tough spot.

Tom

Prashster

Reaction score
I like to cut a 6" section out of the pipe and use a tee, with a 4" section of pipe and a no-hub coupler. This eliminates the need for any play in the line.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Sharkbite has a neat slip coupling - it's about 3-4" long. Gives you some leaway when trying to add something when the pipes are tight.

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
Terry said:
No hub for supply lines?

I second that.

Usually you can just pull both sides of the cut out or down while you insert the new tee...make sure to cut out a 1/2" section to make room for the tee.

Prashster

Reaction score
Terry said:
No hub for supply lines?

I meant a no-stop copper coupler. Not a no-hub rubber slip coupler (Heck, do they even make 'em in 3/4" or 1/2"?)

Sorry for the confusion.

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
Did one tonight

where the customer wanted a stop&waste valve replaced with a ball valve...and the only thing sticking out of the older style finished basement ceiling was the stem and handle.

Neither end of the pipe moved at all either. One was against the block wall and the other intersected closely at a tee threaded both directions through drilled joists.

I cut to the front side of valve with my diamond blade angle grinder, then cut again to remove the burrs with a regular mini, then unsoldered the valve from existing copper line, cut it again and slid the new ball valve on the pipe.

Cut a small section of copper pipe to make up the difference between socket and pipe, forced a 1/2" stop coupling to do the unthinkable.....push beyond the stops.

Took channel locks and forced it back over the two butted pieces of copper pipe evenly and soldered away.

This confined area was no more than 7" square and was scarey with the torch in a finished ceiling/enclosed joist space.

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
Soldering in tight spots...one of my favorite pastimes, ranks right up there with manual coring with a handheld in the vertical.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks