Inline water filter for coffee maker clogged, leaking carbon out inlet

Users who are viewing this thread

RainJet

Reaction score
Hi folks I need your help please,

I have a commercial Curtis d60gt coffee machine that is connected to residential 1/2" water line using a reducing angle stop to a 1/4" copper line, before it goes into the coffee machine the water passes through a inline filter, a Everpure EV9100-06 IN-10, which I purchased online. It is a inline carbon filter designed to remove chlorine and also lime scale to protect the machine. It is rated to deliver the .75 gpm flow rate required by this coffee maker.

When I installed the machines water line connection yesterday I made certain to flush all the lines before hooking up the tubing, so no PEX chips would interfere with anything, then I hooked up the filter and flushed it with 5+ gallons of water before hooking up to machine to flush out the filter carbon and air in lines. Water was flowing strong. All was great it seemed, and we drank the first pot of piping hot coffee yesterday evening.

This morning 1/2 way through brewing our morning coffee, the coffee maker started giving a "low water level" error :(... so I already then knew the machine was not receiving water. I took off the 1/4 inch compression connector connected directly to the machine, and the water flow was just a tickle. I then proceeded to take the filter off the tubing and a bunch of carbon filter media and softening beads came gushing out the inlet end of the filter. Additionally, it had plugged the 1/4 inch copper line leading to the filter from the 1/4 turn valve. That line was filled up with carbon so badly it had to be taken off, turned the other direction and blown out using my mouth of all the gritty carbon and round beads! I feel incredibly lucky (considering the price and newness of the machine) that no carbon media was found after the outlet end of the filter. So at least the grit didn't make it into the new machine and it did its basic job (sorta). I made extra certain when installing the filter to pay attention to the arrows indicating the flow of water...so I'm absolutely certain that it was plumbed the correct direction. The copper line were NOT kinked or crimped anywhere...nice big loops 12"+ loops were left of tubing to prevent that. It's like the inside of the filter cracked or something, maybe something back-siphoned and sucked the water OUT of the machine and in the process sucked the filter media with it? That seems wrong for a commercial-grade filter though.

For some background, a sub-zero fridge's ice maker and water dispenser is served on the same 1/2 pex line, but it is after the coffee maker if that makes any difference. I can't see it causing backsiphoning, but maybe..I want your opinion. They are on completely separate small supply lines, but the fridge is after the coffee makers valve on the 1/2 pex if that makes sense. We have pretty hard water here and no softener/main filter.

Does anyone have any idea why this inline filter may have let go of all that carbon and plugged up the inlet side of the filter so badly?

Has anyone had defective inline filters? Is that normal/possible? Or indicative of another problem?

What inline filter would you use for a coffee maker requiring 0.5gpm minimum flow?

Other than calling the filter manufacturer, the coffee maker manufacturer, are there any suggestions? Any good inline filters for a coffee maker?

Thank you! Your help is very appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks