Initial plumbing inspection

Users who are viewing this thread

WJP

Reaction score
I anticipate the answer to this question is similar in most jurisdictions.

I have completed the underground drain lines for a 3 piece basement bath. It appears from local (Toronto) forums that my plumbing imspector will also expect to see the vent system complete however the stud walls through which the above grade plumbing will be installed can really only be built after the concrete is repaired. Any advice on what is normally expected? Also, I cant fimd a good desciption online of what may be expected by way of testing and/or how I should prep for that.

Thanks
John

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I sometimes will use a test tee in line with a test plug. For the ends of pipes, I glue on test caps. I then then fill with water with at least one pipe 10 feet high. That gives enough height for the test.
You can't always do that in a basement. And sometimes they will allow a "running" test.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Here, it is a two step process. You test the underfloor section, and then after the walls and above floor piping is installed, you test it. Depending on WHERE you can put the test plugs, you may have to make provision to isolate the exposed piping to test it.

WJP

Reaction score
Thanks HJ & Terry for your responses. I may not have the right terminology but am not clear on how the new branch line I have installed is isolated for pressure/water testing. I have purchased test caps for all the open vents and drains but as the new branch is connected into my main horizontal wasteline with a wye and ferncos it feels like I have missed something relative to testing?

Thanks.

John

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You MAY have missed "installing a test tee in your pipe at the point of connection", which is where you would insert the inflatable test ball to seal the end of the pipe for water testing.

WJP

Reaction score
Hmmm.. Fortunately I am just dry fitted at this point (and not using the fixtures above this section of the wast line.

Oddly, for all the books I've reviewed and diagrams and you tube videos I have looked at online none has had a test-t on an underground branch line. Also no mention specific mention of test-t's in the Code here. Seems I may be one of the few people out there interested in having my work inspected..

Thinking this though I assume I will need two test Ts - one installed on my 3" branch line immediately above my wye (which will be later buried under concrete) and another 1.5" test-T just before my vent branch for this new basement 3 piece joins an existing vent line (at a point 6" above the flood line for the fixture that vent is currently servicing).

John

Reach4

Reaction score
There are closet flanges that come with a test knock-out. They block water until you break out the blocking piece. Sioux Chief TKO has various versions.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks