Inexperienced Plumber / DIY / Need Advice!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Eazyknes

Reaction score
I had to redo my plumbing for my washer since we wanted to move it to a different wall. I didn’t look up slope until after everything was completed. I put about an 1” fall over 8’. Is that enough fall or do I need to add more somehow? Pipe size is 2.5” from washer drain then 8’ to 3” vent and drain. Let’s just say I did have to add more fall.. well is it possible to install a pump bc cabinets are in, countertops are in and everything is painted. I really don’t want to have to tear all of it out just to fix the slope. Thanks in advance for advice.
0BA791B8-D6E2-4CBC-B58B-AD7D44830CD9.jpeg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The slope should be 1/4" per foot.
The corner should get a long turn 90, just one, not three vent 90's that are never used as waste fittings.
The vent should be within five feet of the p-trap in some codes, eight feet in others. The vent can be done with 1.5"

washer_rough_1.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
You can relocate the standpipe over to the right side wall, and extend the washing machine hose over to there.
Plug the big hole in your existing wall box.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thanks in advance for advice.
Yeah... no. this is asking for forgiveness after the fact.

Will it work? Maybe.. for a while. You're gong to find out. I don't have any experience with systems installed with that little slope.

Those 90's Terry pointed out are going to kill whatever flow you got. You could potentially chop them out and go with 2 45's to cut the corner. Throw an AAV into that corner and get some venting. The connection of the White PVC to Black ABS is not good.. Thats likely to leak when the bond between the 2 materials gives up. Did the instructions on the glue indicate it was for gluing PVC to ABS?

And that is 1.5" inside diameter pipe going to a 2" diameter... so its already undersized for a clothes washer..

Last edited:

DIYorBust

Reaction score
Is it 1.5" going into 2" or 2" into 2"? He says the pipe is 2.5 inches, could be the O.D. of a 2" pipe.

It might be possible to save this by using the two 45s at the corner, and then running a 1.25" pvc vent above the washing machine, which I believe is good for 2 fixture units and should be possible to squeeze in. The pvc to abs is probably not correct, but that's easily fixed. As for the pitch, it sounds like you have 1/8" per foot, which should be ok.

Now here's a possibility. Can you put a sink in somewhere, perhaps in the corner, and drain the washer into that? That would work fine on a 1.5" drain, and you could build it into the countertop and avoid the corner and probably get within 5 feet of the existing vent easily.

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
Tear what you did back out, then as big TL said add a required vent, install proper slope, use long sweeps or two 45s.

DIYorBust

Reaction score
When he adds the 45s, could he not just put the vent in at that point? looks like under 5 ft... maybe can get it past the corner? go up 6 inches above the box height, Drill two studs for 1.25 or 1.5 inch pvc and you could be vented. But can you get away with 1/8" pitch? It's certainly not ideal, but I'm guessing it will work and there's probably many drains out there that are a little short on pitch.

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
Just musing out loud: Many (mine at home) modern washing machines have an on-board drain filter that needs regular cleaning (and shuts down and sets an alert if it is clogged). For those situations, that makes just clean liquid in the pipe and generally will work.
But, of course, the plumbing code is protective so as to cover most poor quality effluent loads and be a permanent utility so any equipment can be used over the decades.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks