Indoor or Outdoor Tankless Water Heater

Users who are viewing this thread

Eweneek1

Reaction score
Live in northern California on the coast. Can not decide if I should get a Rinnai indoor or outdoor tankless unit. Leaning toward the outdoor unit unless I could mount the indoor unit in my 5' high crawlspace. Calling the building department today.

Replacing a 50 gallon 15 year old conventional tank.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Exterior units where it could freeze, need a unit with freeze protection built-in. Personally, I don't see it as a good situation where it could freeze to have a WH of any type in a location where it could freeze...I'd put in in conditioned space.

That being said, while an on-demand system can work for some people, it has it's issues. It is very dependent on the volume you need and the incoming water temperature. Their specs are for 50-degree inlet water. In the winter, mine is closer to freezing (measured at 33-degrees after a cold spell), so that degrades their performance considerably. They also have a minimum flow rate and a delay before they provide hot water unless you get one with a built-in storage tank which sort of defeats some of the efficiency goals. If your supply gas pipe is sufficient to properly power one, it won't cost a bunch to upgrade your service before you can install one. Be prepared to do annual servicing to remove any mineral deposits, or the thing will eventually decrease the amount of hot water it can provide. Unless you have qualified people around, when the thing does need service, be prepared to wait for parts. A tank can be replaced by almost any plumber any time...fixing a tankless system takes skills and parts not every plumber has.

Eweneek1

Reaction score
Thanks for the information Jim. Our current conventional 50 gallon water heater is about 15 years old and needs to be replaced. If we mount in the crawlspace, there is a 1 1/4" gas supply line, and a 1" water supply line. Just checked the water supply temperature and it is 60 degrees. Our winter outdoor temperature hardly ever gets down to freezing. Would probably use the recirculation valve on the current tank.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks