Indirect waste from an ice machine - to a shower drain????

Users who are viewing this thread

Jamie Loeffler

Reaction score
School district sends me an email after the new addition is near complete.

The school has requested that an ice machine be added to the training room or shower room. Construction is almost complete in this area (including finishes), so the least invasive option would be best if it’s even feasible at all at this point. Its my understanding the ice machine requires a floor drain? Please advise.

So instead of chopping up the entire floor to install a new drain would there be any code issues with running the ice machine drain pipe indirect 2 feet thru the wall and into the single shower stall?

Thanks, Jamie

Cool Blue Harley

One Dumb Plumber
Reaction score
Interesting question.

The code is very strict as it pertains to "Food Handling Fixtures". UPC 801.2.3. Specifically unpackaged ice. The purpose of the indirect waste and air gap is to isolate the fixture or equipment from a situation which could contaminate the contents.

The codes are minimum standards which should be interpreted and applied using common sense. Think about what this drain pipe terminating in a shower stall will be exposed to. Soap, body wash, shampoo, sweat, dirt, urine? How long before it's condition is insanitary? Six months, one year, two years?

This project is under the jurisdiction of the school district. That means the local Authority Having Jurisdiction will not be inspecting it. Right? Otherwise contact them directly.

What about draining into a condensate pump via a funnel and air-gap. Then pumping to an approved location.

Proceed very cautiously.

Jamie Loeffler

Reaction score
Thanks, makes sense. It was an ice machine for a training room area. I told them to try and select a different location.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks