Indirect Drainage Problem (without getting thru the floor)

Users who are viewing this thread

JMASTERJ

Reaction score
Hello all! glad to be here.... gonna be doing quite some plumbing work with a handyman of mine to lower cost of my new business so I hope this is the right place to get some good pro info!

So with my new biz, they are requiring a 3 basin sink like a restaurant kitchen, and with this they require an indirect plumbing for the drain of this sink. And the "official" doc states:

"Unless approved by the local plumbing authority, all warewashing sinks, culinary (prep) sinks,
ice machines, and commercial dish machines must be indirectly plumbed to a sewage outlet
pipe by either an air gap or air break."

Here is an image in our doc that shows an example and another photo the state office sent me as real life examples:

fsiNbX.jpg

IFwEec.jpg

This is my dilemma... in my new space, the only thing that has any water access is the bathroom, which is hear the room where I want the 3 basin sink, just across a 3 foot space in the hall.

Initially I was planning on just drilling holes through the wall and connecting a pipe directly from the 3-sink to the bathroom pipes to flow into and drain out using a mini-water pump and adding a portable tankless water heater.

But a licensed plumber told me, and another agreed, that if we need that indirect drain, that is impossible, that we need to basically smash into and dig out the concrete floor, and run pipes into the ground and into the sewage line.

This will clearly cost me a TON more than my first option. In fact, quotes were like $3k - $5k ! (depending on any adversity with the concrete and pies underground)

So as the statement in the doc states:

"Unless approved by the local plumbing authority..."

can I use this to work around this? Example:

I find a plumber who can make this work WITH an indirect drain as shown, and use some contraption/setup that doesnt require us to tear up all the hard concrete and still get the job done, AND have a "local plumbing authority" approve it, thus, showing the city and Dept of Agriculture inspector that this is legit and will work the same safely?

Also I do not even know what a "local plumbing authority" is... I been asking my city hall office in charge of permits/inspecting and they have no idea either, so how do I find this "local plumbing authority"?
And I am open to ALL out of the box thinking here... This is a LEASED space and I really rather not be tearing up concrete to get this done, spending so much, since I already have to spend thousands on other parts of the space, it'll just get to be too much, even though at the end of the day, I am fully vested already in this and too late to turn back really.

Thank you!

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Did you have an architect submit plans?

Most decent localities require filing by a LMP who performs the work from approved plans

The plumbing authority is either the building department head honcho or one of their authorized inspectors

Gsmith22

Reaction score
how is that picture of the three basin sink even to code? It looks like the middle and right sink have un-trapped standpipes that open into the same space as the indirect drains. are these intended to be vents? how does sewer gas not continuously expel into that space?

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
how is that picture of the three basin sink even to code? It looks like the middle and right sink have un-trapped standpipes that open into the same space as the indirect drains. are these intended to be vents? how does sewer gas not continuously expel into that space?

This is why I asked

"Did you have an architect submit plans?

Most decent localities require filing by a LMP who performs the work from approved plans"

There is no way this disaster should pass any inspection BUT he did save money using a "handyman"

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
This is why I asked

"Did you have an architect submit plans?

Most decent localities require filing by a LMP who performs the work from approved plans"

There is no way this disaster should pass any inspection BUT he did save money using a "handyman"

Sylvan , Good call ! looks like they are planning on installing an AAV. JMmaster restuarants and buisness very commonly spend thousands 10s and hundreds of thousands of dollars to build code compliant and sanitary establishments . But I know they sometimes flex on items that they deem too expensive and the threat to health and safety minimal. They routinly smash up concrete to do little almost insignificant changes to comply. So my recomendation is talk to the city inspector about what he expects. We have no say on what kind of stuff they will allow but you got open vents to air? Good Luck!

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
JMmaster j, Another tip a local plumbing authority. Shouldnt confuse any one at the city there are differant words sometimes "authority having jurisdiction is used, and many times in construction there are overlapping officials, authoritys, and who knows , Fire dept. healthdept , that have a say in construction. Also they routinely make certain exceptions so be polite ha ha good luck

JMASTERJ

Reaction score
Did you have an architect submit plans?

Most decent localities require filing by a LMP who performs the work from approved plans

The plumbing authority is either the building department head honcho or one of their authorized inspectors

I am in the very initial stages of deciding what to do, so no plans yet submitted. As soon as I decide on the plan of action here I was going to formulate the plan and submit.

What is the "building dept"? Meaning city hall, county inspection........? I have dealt with over 4-5 offices to get various stuff done or approved or needing to schedule inspection, feel like I have no clue who is in charge of "plumbing."

JMASTERJ

Reaction score

No idea about code.... the lady who is in charge of approving these designs from the state dept of agriculture sent me that directly, so I am assuming if she is allowing it....

JMASTERJ

Reaction score
JMmaster j, Another tip a local plumbing authority. Shouldnt confuse any one at the city there are differant words sometimes "authority having jurisdiction is used, and many times in construction there are overlapping officials, authoritys, and who knows , Fire dept. healthdept , that have a say in construction. Also they routinely make certain exceptions so be polite ha ha good luck

I been calling every single dept but of course either no one is working or they never return your call or email, SMFH, so annoying.... Things take 10 times longer than it should because they only can help you when you happen to catch them when they are actually working for 10 minutes at their desk. ( I have met some all-stars BTW, not all are like that, but most are )... which is why I was asking if there is a general rule that a certain organization is responsible for this division.

JMASTERJ

Reaction score
Seems like you are all saying you dont know how I can do this, but I should be asking the local city inspector who would be coming to check it before I actually do any work and hope he can give me guidance on how I can build this out to code?

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score
You said the lady from the ag. dept. sent you those pictures. I see no problem with that sink its the same thing as having floor sinks but higher, other than the vents are incomplete. the IPC states that on a 3 compartment sink the sinks must discharge independently to a waste receptor and if your going to prep food in the sink it must have an "air gap" If your just washing dishes it can have either an "air break" or an "air gap". I'm guessing that the plumbers said you couldn't tie it into the lav is because it would have created an illegal vertical wet vent. or the drain was to small.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks