Indiana Plumbers

Users who are viewing this thread

3m

Reaction score
Are there any Indiana licensed plumbers on this forum, and if there are I have a question for you. Evansville Indiana allows heating and air conditioning contractors to change out a water heater in a home if they are there installing a new furnance and the home owner ask them to put in a new water heater while they are there. Any thoughts on this

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Hvac

Would they allow the plumber to change the air conditioning system if he was there to change the water heater? Same thing. They are probably completely in the dark about what is involved in "legal" water heater installation, and just install the new one exactly like the old one was installed.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
I dont understand the issue???

I am in INDY and its never been much of an issue in this state.......

their are no strict rules here in this state that I am aware of

basically , any half drunk moron with a pick up truck, can go into LOWES on a Satruday afternoon, and buy a Whirlpool water heater and install it themselves,
without getting a permit..or show any proof that he knows what he is doing....

so why should it matter when a furance man with much better experience and qualifications with gas pipeing , venting, soldering ....
and REAL INSURANCE need to worry about having to get one....

what is your greiveance anyway???

Last edited:

3m

Reaction score
Mark if you knew the rules and requlations you would know what the problem is

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
A lot of cities here in Illinois require a permit to change a water heater. People get busted when the put the old tank to the curb or even the box.

3m

Reaction score
Anything over 50.00 $ requires a permit in Evansville. And the laws covering this are IC 25-28.5-1-2, IC 25-28.5-1-11 and IC 25-28.5-1-31.

Master Plumber Mark

Reaction score
Website
In Evansville

Anything over 50.00 $ requires a permit in Evansville. And the laws covering this are IC 25-28.5-1-2, IC 25-28.5-1-11 and IC 25-28.5-1-31.

I dont know the rules in Evansville.......
and I am very sorry becasue they are very relaxed every-where else

so I guess either you are trying to get a poor furnace
man in trouble for takeing a plumbing job away from you ???

or perhaps maybe you are trying to stiff the
poor furnace man out of his money on this technacality???
not getting that extra permit...??
Now, I have seen that happen before.......

FYI if he changed the furnace, their is a very good chance that the permit he took out for the furnace will cover the water heater also because it was all done at the same time......

he will probably be able to do it all under the same permit

And I am Sorry, I dont know what page in your
Evansville code book or what numbers to quote you.....on that ....

while we are on the subject, do they require people that
buy water heaters at LOWES and Home Depot to
take out a permit while they are still in the store down in Evansville????

exactly, how do they enforce all those codes you
quoted me and make those people take the proper
permits out down in Evansville??

IC 25-28.5-1-2, IC 25-28.5-1-11 and IC 25-28.5-1-31.[/quote]

Last edited:

3m

Reaction score
Mark those are STATE laws not codes from Evansville, We have Inspectors that check all jobs and pop in from time to time to make sure everyone is licensed on the jobs. And Im not trying to stiff anyone Im only trying to get input from other people on what there thoughts are. There wasnt a permit pulled on this particular job and no furnance was installed but the heat man tried to use this Evansville Bypass to the state laws to justify installing a water heater and I called Him on it and told Him the next time I would Turn him in. You may think that any half drunk can install a water heater and that may be true but when that heater blows up I can bet you good money that If they have Insurance they wont pay because If you arent licensed to do plumbing work in Indiana then you are breaking the law, therefore they will not pay. I do a lot of work for a large Insurance Company and if there is a fire or water damage from a electrical fire or plumbing leak they will pay the claim then they go after the contractor that did the work and try to prove that he was responsible. One other thing in case you didnt know, If you do plumbing work in the state of Indiana and you dont hold a plumbing license you cant sue the owner to get your money if they dont pay because you were breaking the law in the first place. All of this is in the Indiana Plumbing Laws you should do some more reading, and no we cant stop all illegal plumbing work but when The guy puts a tag on the water heater that states for service call so and so then its time to put a end to it

Master Plumber Mark

Reaction score
Website
Indiana laws have no teeth....

Mark those are STATE laws not codes from Evansville, We have Inspectors that check all jobs and pop in from time to time to make sure everyone is licensed on the jobs. And Im not trying to stiff anyone Im only trying to get input from other people on what there thoughts are.

the basic problem is the laws are not enforced , and it is more of an honor system for people to take out permits when required...

everyone is just going through the loop-holes ,
LoWES does not have a sign out in their stores telling people that they need to get a permit when they attempt to take out a 40 gallon heater and install a Bosch Tankless.... (and burn down the home)

also their is no one to enforce the laws, they do not get paid much to be an inspector,

and plumbing supplies can be sold to anyone

anyone with a hack saw and a can of glue can basically do plumbing...if they flood their house, burn it down, or blow it up that is about the only time that they are even taken serious ....

when someone causes massive damage...

In this bad economy, their is really no way to stop people from doing it themselves....

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks