Increasing gas pressure to 2psi

Users who are viewing this thread

chuckd83

Reaction score
I am installing a tankless water heater and, based on my research of the pressure drop charts, my current gas piping system is not sufficient to supply my appliances.

I've read an alternative to replacing the pipe is to have the gas company replace their meter/regulator to increase my current gas pressure of 7"wc to 2psi. Then place a regulator at each appliance (Maxitrol 325) to reduce the pressure back to 7"wc. It is all black iron / galvanized pipe.

Does anyone have experience doing this? I called my plumber and he didn't seem to know much about it, but didn't have any objections - said to talk to the gas company about it. I guess he deals mostly in water.

Fitter30

Reaction score
They do make gas pumps don't know if its legal to raise the pressure in a home. The other thing only commercial gas meters are 2 lbs. Galvanize pipe isn't legal in most places. Buy the time you buy lb to inchs regulators for your appliances just run another line.

David McCarley

Reaction score
I've read an alternative to replacing the pipe is to have the gas company replace their meter/regulator to increase my current gas pressure of 7"wc to 2psi. Then place a regulator at each appliance (Maxitrol 325) to reduce the pressure back to 7"wc. “

Other than the galvanized pipe, I don’t see any problem with what your describing. We do same pressure upgrades pretty often to accommodate the same scenario. But I would get the help/estimate of Certified Gas Fitter for advice and to make sure you absolutely need the pressure increase before committing. Good luck with it.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Amazing code differences

Chapter 4: Gas Piping Installations, NYC Fuel Gas Code 2014 ...up.codes › viewer › new_york_city › gas-piping-install...
1 Pipe Size and Pressure Limitations. All requirements for installation of gas distribution piping with operating pressures at 1/2 psig (3.5 kPa ...

Above 1/2 PSI is considered high pressure

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I suppose its great . the pipe is no issue. Ive never heard of allowing bumping pressure up on a house in my area. I think those regulators are required to have a vent run to outside the building. there would be a cost for regulators as fitter 30 said . So check with athority having jurisdiction both the gas company and thebuilding department. The answers you get will determine feasability. It just might be worthwhile. the differance in btu cappacity is stunning

chuckd83

Reaction score
I say "black iron / galvanized pipe" because sometimes I can't tell the difference. I'll post photos later. What's the problem with galvanized?

As far as cost, a 1/2" Maxitrol 325 is $25. Furnace 1, furnace 2, range, and clothes dryer = $100. 3/4" Maxitrol 325 is $50 for the tankless water heater. Running a new line underground 100 ft plus branches, drywall repair, etc. is going to be a lot more than $150.

Jeff Young, Maxitrol makes regulators with a "vent limiter" for indoor applications where venting is not feasible. I will call my city inspector to see if it is allowed.

chuckd83

Reaction score
This is my meter and pipe going into the house. Looks like galvanized? Inside the house is black iron.

Attachments

• 20200819_154619658_iOS.jpg
    20200819_154619658_iOS.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 265
  • 20200819_154847964_iOS.jpg
    20200819_154847964_iOS.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 194

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
My opinion is Black or Gal both are fine. there are naysayer that think its going to flake and plug oroffices yada yada I wouldnt worry about it. The important thing is sound pipe that holds a gas test. by all means If you have underground in questionable condition address it .
If manufacture spec , city and gas company say good then go for it! Im just saying it was an issue in Los Angeles in 2005 when I did a job there not really an issue we ran a 1/2 or 3/4 pipe to outside everything had to be labled medium pressure gas system real simple stuff

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Galvanized is prohibited in places where natural gas has a high sulfur content, I believe. The sulfur reacts with the zinc to make zinc sulfide, which does flake off and plug orifices.

Cheers, Wayne

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Galvanized is prohibited in places where natural gas has a high sulfur content, I believe. The sulfur reacts with the zinc to make zinc sulfide, which does flake off and plug orifices.

Cheers, Wayne

Very common to see small sections of galvinized around here a nipple or piece out at the meter Never worried about it. I dont install galvanized but seen tons of it. Sedimet traps ,drip legs required at all appliance locations. I never put one on for 25 years but now we do because of code. a little extra protection. good thing
The only Time I do a gas repipe is in major remodel, or underground thats gotten rust. Dirt and threading chips , spyders a lot of things plug an orafice

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks