Inconsistent Toilet Tank Fill Level

Users who are viewing this thread

SAS

Reaction score
I replaced an old Toto TSU08a.6 fill valve in a Drake toilet with a Korky 528MP. The installation was straightforward, but the fill level in the tank is not consistent. Most of the time it is just 1/4 to 1/2 inch below the top of the overflow tube, but about 1 time out of 4 it will be 1-2 inches below that level. Also, on those occasions, I could see a very slight dripping from the float portion of the valve into the tank. Do I have a faulty valve, or is there something I can do to remedy this?

SAS

Reaction score
The float isn't getting stuck?
Not sure, but it seems to have straightened itself out. The last 7 times it was used, there was no problem. I'm guessing that some debris from the disintegrating tank bolt gaskets got stuck in the valve, but have now been cleared out.

By the way, should I be worried about the tank bolt gaskets? The previous owner had used chlorine tablets in the tank and the gasket on the old fill valve was just a mess of sticky black gunk. The tank bolt gaskets don't look any better from what I can see. Is there a chance that they will start leaking? I've installed tanks before, so I know how to take it apart and put it together, but I don't want to do it if the problem is only cosmetic. On the other hand, I don't want to come home to a flood in the bathroom one day because the tank was leaking from around those gaskets. What do you think?

Reach4

Reaction score
All Korky toilet fill valves come with a 5 year warranty. You might want to give them a call.

Also, you may be able to leave the bottom part in place, and just replace the top portion with the top portion of a new valve.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
I usually replace everything if I'm replacing something of a toilet. Even more so if there's a known abuse/issue.

SAS

Reaction score
I replaced an old Toto TSU08a.6 fill valve in a Drake toilet with a Korky 528MP. The installation was straightforward, but the fill level in the tank is not consistent. Most of the time it is just 1/4 to 1/2 inch below the top of the overflow tube, but about 1 time out of 4 it will be 1-2 inches below that level. Also, on those occasions, I could see a very slight dripping from the float portion of the valve into the tank. Do I have a faulty valve, or is there something I can do to remedy this?
Final update - After a while the fill level seemed to be consistent but it started squeaking whenever it shut off. So I disassembled and cleaned the valve per the video on the Korky website. That seemed to solve the problem. So I'm guessing that some debris was in the valve causing both of those problems. In any event, everything now is working properly.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks