In over my head. Simple caulkess shower install

Users who are viewing this thread

Josh89

Reaction score
So, our cheap single piece fiberglass walk in shower finally got 1 crack too many, and I decided to replace it.
Demo was success.
A purchased a Delta reinforced shower pan and Delta caulkess direct to stud shower walls.
It all seemed simple enough.
However, I get to the end and the walls don't match up perfectly at the bottom leaving gaps.
Questions
1. Can I just caulk the seams and go on with my life?
2. I've taken it all the way apart, drain off. In doing so I had to peel off the foam strip it had me put on the pan flange. It seems this is where caulk normally goes? Covering the screw holes. If I can't find more foam, should I caulk that?
This simple design seems to be way more complicated that I thought.
Any help is appreciated.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Caulking would likely work for that. Did you make sure the floor was level and the walls too?

index.php

A Delta shower kit.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
The vertical seams if present really need a very well placed bead of caulking. That is where you could get water working its way arond the the flanges. The bottom edge really doesn't because the shower base should have a flange. But its best to have that sealed with caulk as well to avoid build up of gunk.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Most of those have very little wiggle room for out of square corners or plumb walls relative to a level floor. It depends on how big of a gap you have. You can sister some pieces on the walls to make your walls plumb and the corner(s) square, and then, the pieces might just actually snap together like they were designed.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks