Here is another view . See the problem?

Attachments

• IMG_2003.JPG
    IMG_2003.JPG
    81.4 KB · Views: 222

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
One of my accounts heard me complaining about the charges for my for BMW 750 I (M) and he started to laugh and said If you have to asks the price you cant afford it

I thought I collected Luxury Cars Mercedes, BMW and Lexus and he said come with me we went to his garage . He showed me his car and told me the oil change was $22,000

Of course I said no way possibly they changed the engine for that price . He said nope just regular service with a discount cost $22.000

The car is a Bugatti. I told him next time go to Jiffy lube

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Problem with 100 year old homes on California. Cast iron drain pipes and galvanized indoor water supply lines. The last problem is the ground moves more there than any other place in the USA. Cast iron either rusts away or cracks do to an occasional ground shaking. If the galvanized pipes were not replaced on the remodel they’re plugged up with crud and rust. If these two items are mostly original, it’s where the costly expense is if needing replacement. Get proof on these two and it can allow a better negotiated price for the home. Electrical problems, roofing, HVAC and water heaters are also expensive items and again, if these are in End of Life condition the price becomes negotiable.

A home maybe up for sale because the current owner cannot or does not want to put large amount of money into repairs. If you’re like most of us retired guys on the forum, the first house is a fantastic time but as with most, the budget was always tight. I moved and bought four homes from 1979 to 1989 and each time there wasn’t much money left in the bank after the closing. To take on a serious cost to fix something can be a killer in the pocket.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Being in ESCROW with CA Law means that we have submitted our in-kind $ and we are given 21 days to investigate the home before removing the contingencies. That's why it's urgent that we try to figure out what is wrong and root issues so that we can either ask for the repair or negotiate the hell out of the price.

Hi monica, So you got a lot of opinions on differant topics , provided us little info , So cant really give an opinion we dont know whats wrong , or how much to fix. yes you got an alarming report but not specific enough. Anything new

PlumblessInSeattle

Reaction score
No check valve on the CW side. HW Return line mixing into cold water piping and overwhelmed the CW side. Person took a longer shower and the retun Hot Water made its way to her shower valve and she would be unable to temper her Hot water down with no Cold water available.

Reaction score
Home inspectors get a bad rap. They are unfortunately expected to be experts in plumbing, electrical, structural etc, but that is not what they are intended or marketed to be. Read their contracts, they basically absolve themselves of being expects in anything. At best they are knowledgeable enough to identify areas that a qualified professional should be refered to make a recommendation. You get what you pay for. The inspection report basically states to have a qualified professional to check it out. You're spending hundreds of thousands of dollar w/o a return option or warranty. Dropping a few hundred or a thousand or two on inspections will limit risks of unforseen expensive repairs. If you're looking to buy a home for $500,000 and a $502,000 isn't possible, then you should not be buying the a $500,000 home.

After the home inspection discuss with the seller to if they would be willing to split the cost of inspections by qualified professionals. you always have the option to walk away.

In a competitive market, have qualified professionals ready to go when you find a place. And be ready to pay them for their time. At the same time being an educated buyer car save you time and money.

Fitter30

Reaction score
That steam boiler and piping is full of asbestos and is 50+ years old. Would like to see more pics of the boiler and piping that mixing valve on cold water side looks to have a black reducing tee don't think its for DHW

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Agree Bill, Home inspectors get a bad rap . Yea they give you something that says theyre not an expert and That I belive.
I think a home inspection is good especialy if one is clueless But getting a good inspection isnt as simple as going with the one that charges the highest fee asuming you get "what you pay for". Someone new to area never been a homeowner, never done anything mechanical, never mowed a lawn , or removed a door lock. Should have professional advice. Others that have been DIY or pro thier whole life going back to childhood may be able to inspect on own

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
No check valve on the CW side. HW Return line mixing into cold water piping and overwhelmed the CW side. Person took a longer shower and the retun Hot Water made its way to her shower valve and she would be unable to temper her Hot water down with no Cold water available.

Very astute ................ Bravo

SweecTOR

Reaction score
Very hard to tell from this picture, need a closer one. The system looks almost the same as in my old house, though, and the only problems which I had with it was that one of the pipes got a crack and the water was leaking out. I had to replace it, and then this problem never appeared again. I am living in my new house right now, though, because I bought it during a housing market crash, which signs I've been looking for a long time. I've bought it at the best moment, because it was too expensive before.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks