I'm lost and so is my well....

Users who are viewing this thread

DsprteMeasres

Reaction score
Sorry, this will probably be a long post, but I'll try to keep it to the point. 4 years ago I bought my house in a very rural area west of Oklahoma city, it has 2 wells on it, one for the house and one for the outside stuff. The outside well pump stopped working about 6 weeks ago, I have verified the tank and pressure switch, pump is getting power but no water. Unfortunately there are no records with my local or state water resource board as to either well location or depth, no idea when they were drilled either. I contacted a local well drilling outfit and they sent some guys out who did not have anything with them to locate the well. They were very nice folks, and did not charge me, but I basically wasted an afternoons worth of leave from work. They hooked something up (a test box started with an S, not a meter) to the pump wiring, and said the pump is shorted and/or dead. I have since purchased a tempo 501 locator, but have been unable to pinpoint anything... it seems like a wonderful tool, if I could practice with it on something less serious... A 100ft fish tape kept stopping about 22-23ft down. Today I ran a borescope down with the fish tape, at that level I found some sort of junction. The wiring and lines are inside of my shed, they seem to run under the cinderblock foundation at an angle. It seems to come out of the shed under where the power conduit is run, so digging is a little tricky in that area. I have a utility probe that is taller than I am trying to hit paydirt... no joy! I just need some advice on how to find this thing please. My garden has died, my pool is green and about empty, and my poor dogs don't have access to fresh water at all times like they did. ( I fill up the bowls before and after work, but they are used to a self filling bowl off the faucet as it is hot here.) Attached are pics of what I have, but I do have some more if it would help with ideas. Thanks in advance!!

Attachments

• 20210912_142708.jpg
    20210912_142708.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 172
  • 20210821_192810.jpg
    20210821_192810.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 168
  • 20210914_185611.jpg
    20210914_185611.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 166

Reach4

Reaction score
I think you are looking for a well that you suspect is buried below the frost line.

So the fish tape may be going down to the frost line, and continuing horizontally to the well.

If you use facebook, you might see if somebody on this OK metal detecting group would be helpful in locating a big piece of steel maybe 2 ft down. Your frost line is about 20 inches it seems. I think you would look first along an arc about 20 ft radius just outside that area you show in your photos.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/okmdclub/

DsprteMeasres

Reaction score
Thank you very much! I will give the group a try. I did have a pretty strong hit with the 501 about what I would guess is about 20ish ft north of the shed. I marked it with some paint. Will measure the distance tomorrow after work, and perhaps try with my cheapo metal detector! If I get a hit there I at least have a new unobstructed area to dig I am so lost on this well stuff, and appreciate the help!

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
A well head should never be buried. When you find it, extend the casing 18' above ground and add a pitless adapter. The well head will probably only be 2'-3' down at most. It is going to need to be dug up anyway, might as well dig and follow the pipe/wire to the well. Then when you get the pump replaced if you don't want it to fail again, add a Cycle Stop Valve as irrigating, filling a pool, and auto animal waterers are notorious for cycling a pump to death. Your house pump needs a CSV as well, which would make that pump last longer as well as supply strong constant pressure to the house.

Last edited:

DsprteMeasres

Reaction score
If you use Facebook, you might see if somebody on this OK metal detecting group would be helpful in locating a big piece of steel maybe 2 ft down. Your frost line is about 20 inches it seems. I think you would look first along an arc about 20 ft radius just outside that area you show in your photos.

YOU ARE GOOD! I went out with my metal detector (just a cheapo $60 thing) and started my where the tempo had been hitting, sure enough something big and ferrous! Started digging and about 6" down I found something plastic. it is an upside down 5 gallon bucket. have been out there trying to dig it out for a bit. finally found the black plastic line going into it as well. I still cant get it out, but ruptured it accidentally and can smell that minerally well water smell, so it HAS to be covering the cap. Its 100 degrees out right now so I am done digging for a bit, but did a quick distance measurement... 20 ft exactly from the shed wall to the middle of the bucket! Thank you so much for the assistance! Now to get it uncovered and see about getting the water back on!

20210918_161451.jpg

DsprteMeasres

Reaction score
The help from you all did in fact find my lost, buried well. Just wanted to share that it worked in case someone else is in the same situation, they can try these steps also My sincerest thanks to those that replied! Just in case anyones wondering, the water in the pic is from me trying to soften the dirt as I was digging... it hasnt rained in 2 months and it was definately hard packed!

Attachments

• 20210919_123224.jpg
    20210919_123224.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 156

Reach4

Reaction score
Since this is the outside irrigation well, it's less critical than the one for the house water. But even so, besides preventing contamination, a pitless adapter makes it a lot easier to change a pump.

For extending a steel casing, you are supposed to weld casing on to do the extension in most states. I think some states may allow a Dresser coupling or Dresser-style coupling. That could allow extending steel with PVC.

If the well for the house water is buried, then you probably want to plan to get that extended above ground and a pitless adapter installed. The sanitary problem is that well seals don't seal very well.

Maybe the well folks would be more interested in the work now that the well has been located. Maybe putting in two pitless adapters makes getting an excavator more economical per well. Yes, it's big money, but it's a good investment.

If the well is 4 inch steel, you may want to consider a 3-inch Grundfos SQ pump. Bumps on a steel casing can make it hard to remove a "4 inch" pump. Most 4 inch pumps specify an OD of 3.9 inches. A slimline or trimline model usually specifies 3.75 inches.

DsprteMeasres

Reaction score
Well I'm glad I came back to check the post so I could read the new answers I tried to have someone experienced come out this week but no one seems to need the work.... guess I'm going to need to try to get it out myself. Just came in to take a break, am currently trying to dig up the line and power wire the 20ft from the head to the shed. It hasnt rained anything significant in over 6 weeks so the ground is packed. Really wishing I had a backhoe attachment for my tractor right now! I came across what appears to be a splice point about a foot back in the meager trench I've dug....will unhook the water line here I suppose and unsplice the wires. I did not want to reuse either but without some digging equipment I may be forced to. I do want to extend the casing and put this all back together for easier access in the future however. I just bought the place 4 years ago (my first house) and plan on being here for the long haul. 7.1 acres in a very rural quiet area, I love it out here, only downside is its 20 miles to anything... 35 to the nearest hardware store. Heres a better look at what I've got currently.

Attachments

• 20210925_122515.jpg
    20210925_122515.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 139
  • 20210925_122501.jpg
    20210925_122501.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 144
  • 20210925_122450.jpg
    20210925_122450.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 159

Reach4

Reaction score
Is the casing 4 inch steel (4.5 inch OD)? If 5 inch and/or PVC, things get easier.

https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/best-way-to-extend-metal-casing-above-grade.80187/

I have a Merrill SMCK pitless on the casing extended by welding. Not DIY.

I love it out here, only downside is its 20 miles to anything... 35 to the nearest hardware store. Heres a better look at what I've got currently.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-Submersible-Well-Pump-Wire-Heat-Shrink-Kit-EBSK400/205617995
You would need a crimp tool.

I think you would shrink the tubing with a heat gun if you have one or a billowing flame.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks