I'm at my wits end with this corrugated copper pipe. How to stop this leak?

Users who are viewing this thread

SonOfGloin

Reaction score
Some hot nipples are combined with the sacrificial anode rod.

Looks like my cold nipple is connected to a dip tube:

https://terrylove.com/forums/index....ipples-surprise-see-post-6.73701/#post-543827

It appears that this is not a simple swap out. Can I clean the cold nipple threads with a wire brush and try again with the new ultra flex pipe? It's not clear to me whether this was a case of galvanic corrosion or if there was a tiny leak at the nipple that went unnoticed back in March. For what it's worth, the hot nipple is clean as a whistle.

Reach4

Reaction score
I am not a plumber. I would not swap nipples, but I would use silicone grease on the seal and threads if there is a rubber seal.

SonOfGloin

Reaction score
Success! No leaks - finally!

IMG_7879 Large.jpeg

IMG_7880 Large.jpeg

As you can see, I followed @wwhitney 's idea of converting the male copper threads to brass, using a FIP coupling and a close hex nipple. I used PTFE tape and dope on the appropriate threads, and also on the overflow tank. I did not use any on the four nipples, again since the washer is supposed to be making the seals not the threads. I also think the type of flex pipe I used is very important here. As you can see in the photo, I used stainless lines this time, but the material isn't relevant here. Rather, the corrugation pattern is what matters. I selected these (Brasscraft parts SWB00-24N and SWB00-18N) because the thin corrugates suggested that they might be far more flexible than the units with thick spiral corrugates commonly found at blue and orange retail giants, and I was correct. These are MUCH easier to bend, and this would have also been true with the Falcon lines I mentioned earlier. This is significant because it was much easier to make sure that the flex lines thread onto the nipples perfectly straight, as I was able to make adjustments as I screwed them in. I felt much more confident that the washers were being compressed evenly, which I can't say is true for the thick-corrugate flex lines I wasted earlier. I also started with a heavy hand tight, then adjusted until drips stopped (probably about 1/2-3/4 of a turn with the wrench). If I had to do it over, I probably would have used a 24" pipe on the cold side as well, rather than the 18", because I think looping it (like you would for a heat trap) would make it even easier to align things perfectly.

The cold side nipple was a challenge, and frankly a bit of a roll of the dice as to whether the job could be done without serious damage to the WH. As I've read elsewhere, on my A.O. Smith Signature 100 it's a one-piece unit (dielectric heat trap nipple + dip tube), and it's REALLY tight in there, as it's installed with an impact from the factory. I used a 13" pipe wrench with a cheater bar and frankly lucked out that it popped out without breaking something else. I had a helper hold the WH (at appx 75% capacity) to prevent it from moving, and the nipple itself deformed before breaking loose, making this a do-or-die job as there would be no hope of re-threading the flex pipe back on after such damage. While it did break loose finally, the top of the tank buckled slightly as a result of the torque:

IMG_7885 Large.jpeg

The dip tube looks like it's flanged and captive to the inside of the old nipple:

IMG_7886 Large.jpeg

Not sure if that would pull out with force, but I suppose that one could just use a traditional brass nipple and a separate dip tube (40" on this model) as a replacement in lieu of the expensive one-piece unit from A.O. Smith (which every supply house seemed to have on backorder).

The hot side nipple had a little bit of rust on the top, as the previous flex pipe seems to have pressed down the plastic top leaving a metal-to-rubber connection. I opted to clean this up with a brass wire brush instead of replacing it, because I was worried that I wouldn't be so lucky in getting this one out. It's frustrating that something as simple as a nipple can make a WH less of a serviceable appliance.

Thank you all again for your time and advice. This is such a great community.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks