Ikea trap not building code

Users who are viewing this thread

Willv

Reaction score
Anyone come across Ikea plumbing assembly not passing ontario ( canada ) building code? I just had an inspection and have to replace all the traps as they must be ABS.

I have looked as best I can across the web and have not seen any clarity.

I am just a home owner installing my own vanity and surprised by this. Occupancy permit is not being approved until it is replaced.

Thanks in advance.

ikea-p-trap.jpg

Picture added by Terry Love

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I do not know of any code which would REQUIRE abs traps, because other materials are just as good. The design of the traps could cause them to be refused however, but that would have nothing to do with what they are made of.

Willv

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. The inspector was absolutely confident and wrote it up before occupancy approval. Stated it not being ABS. I will comply to move it along but its a heads up in Waterloo ontario region and a scar on Ikea.

Reach4

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. The inspector was absolutely confident and wrote it up before occupancy approval. Stated it not being ABS. I will comply to move it along but its a heads up in Waterloo ontario region and a scar on Ikea.
Ask Ikea if they can intercede for you. You may at least get a refund, but maybe they will contact somebody who can approve what you did.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Some of the traps I've seen at Ikea are bottle traps...those, depending on the materials they are built out of can be problematic. They are also, typically, nearly impossible to clean out verses a more common (in NA anyway) p-trap. Many people prefer the look of say chromed brass drains for sinks that are exposed...I can't see where they would require abs (but abs might last longer). Let us know what you ultimately find out.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
He may want a drain using sch. 40 glued fittings and traps, which to me would be exceeding his authority, but then he IS the "inspector" so you will seldom win any argument with him

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
You can appeal to his supervisor. Probably win too.

However, compliance is inexpensive, besides why do you want to pick up a fight with him? Chances are you will never see this man again.

Willv

Reaction score
Just recieved Ikeas official response to rectify. It's easier just to replace myself. Very dissapointing.

Hello Mr. Verkaik,

Thank you for contacting IKEA Canada. To clarify further, please note that all light fixtures, electrical items, plumbing pieces, sinks, faucets and water traps, sold in Canada by IKEA are approved for use in residential homes.

As such, these items follow all the appropriate standards and are approved by the relevant authorities. Please note that we often use CSA as a standard, but not always. Some items, including your ODENSVIK sink and its RINNEN water trap, may be approved by other groups such as:

Uniform Plumbing Code (UPC®)
National Plumbing Code of Canada
International Plumbing Code (IPC®)

For all relevant certifications for your product, please visit the following link to IAPMO RESEARCH AND TESTING, INC.:

http://pld.iapmo.org/file_info.asp?file_no=0008317

You may also search for the relevant certifications on various IKEA products by utilizing the search function at the following link:

http://pld.iapmo.org/default.aspx

We hope you will find this information useful.

Should you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Thank you for choosing IKEA for your home furnishing needs.

Kind regards,
Matthew
IKEA Canada Customer Service

Willv

Reaction score
I don't think a brass trap is an issue. It was just stated that I had to replace Ikea trap. He suggested ABS. I commented how crazy such a company would sell to so many consumers a product not following code. He agreed and left it at that.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Not all bottle traps meet code. So, seeing one, the inspector may just assume it doesn't. You can't tell without looking inside it unless you have the specs or maybe the packaging that show the approval markings.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks