Ikea Plumbing.....?

Users who are viewing this thread

jlstover2013

Reaction score
I've found this forum while researching about bathroom plumbing and such. I'm renovating our master bath and first thing that has to go is our vanity!

Long story short I've found a vanity from ikea, that would actually fit. I almost purchased it and then I saw how the plumbing was and stopped there. My main concern is whether or not the plumbing is US standards and that it'll properly function. Give me your thoughts because I have no clue :( 1 Hemnes/Odensvik sink cabinet, 2 Odensvik sink, & 3 Current plumbing! http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40193940/ (webpage for sink) Thank-You For Your Help!!!

hemnes-odensvik-sink-cabinet-with--drawers__0144140_PE303499_S4.jpg

odensvik-sink--bowl__0116154_PE270301_S4.jpg

Bath 001.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

PeteSC

Reaction score
That should work fine if it'll fit in your space. That flexible line to the left of the drain plumbing appears to be for the sink overflow as it looks like the sink does not have an integrated overflow discharge.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It's a basic plumbing componet. There are fittings to install that.
I prefer a standard tubular p-trap over a solvent weld one, but either will work.

ikea-p-trap.jpg

The p-trap that comes with Ikea. It's a tighter bend towards the wall that keeps it closer.

ikea-drain.jpg

Last edited:

jlstover2013

Reaction score
What fittings will I need to connect to standard? If its to big of a hassle I would rather just get a different sink. Plus most plumbers around my area have no clue and don't want to do it.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
All you need is a standar p-trap.

If you can find a plumber that has passed eigth grade English, you will be fine.
You are finding that most plumbers don't like reading instructions.

ikea_lav_4.jpg

We ran into one of these on a job that had already been started.
They didn't read the instructions. They had hacked and cut the drawer in the cabinet. The drawers run short, giving you room toward the back to place a p-trap near the wall. Done that way, there is plenty of room without touching or modifying the drawers.

ikea_lav_6.jpg

Last edited:

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
All you need is a standar p-trap.

If you can find a plumber that has passed eigth grade English, you will be fine.
You are finding that most plumbers don't like reading instructions.
Funny that you mentioned that, I always read manufacturers instructions whenever the faucet or whatever was something was new to me.:D

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
info

quote; I always read manufacturers instructions whenever the faucet

These days there is very little "reading". Mostly it is looking at pictures and trying to figure out what it is showing. IF there is reading, you have to figure out which section has it in your language.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
My concern would be that the drain in the wall might be too high for the new sink, but without taking some measurements.......

MikePlummer

Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I have installed one of these... they come with everything shown in the picture...the drain offsets straight back to the wall then turns vertical into the trap so trap is close to the wall...you'd then turn a 90 on your existing drain and connect the provided 'ikea" trap with a trap adapter....
it does have functioning drawers with about 3-4 inches from the back of drawer to wall - which is why the PO is offset.

as a professional who prefers to work with quality materials - in one word I would describe this set-up as 'JUNK'.

ikea_lav_2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
quote; I always read manufacturers instructions whenever the faucet

These days there is very little "reading". Mostly it is looking at pictures and trying to figure out what it is showing. IF there is reading, you have to figure out which section has it in your language.
Pictures are worth a thousand words!

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
My concern would be that the sink does not have an integral overflow built into the sink and you are locked into that weird drain contraption available only from Ikea....

Should it no longer be available from Ikea and you need a new one the sink is toast...

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Red, a lot of the newer lavs no longer have an integral overflow. They have decided that the overflow passage is a good place for bacteria to propagate.

Asktom

Reaction score
I guess I am out of the loop. Who makes a lav drain that would replace that Ikea? What do they call it? I'm not trying to be a smartass (on this occasion), I am really curious.

On another note, I don't see where that plastic tube is any more sanitary than an integral overflow. I can see where it would make the lavs cheaper to manufacture, though.

Asktom

Reaction score
Just bumping this up to the top because I really am curious. Who makes a drain assembly to replace that & what is it called?

Markore

Reporter
Reaction score
You would have to make it up with a combination of sh40 and/or tubular components. The most critical ones to find are the overflow / drain strainer. The offsets, tee, flexible tailpiece etc are pretty common in tubular.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks