Ikea drawer, extend 1.25 pipe?

Users who are viewing this thread

Qwertyjjj

Reaction score
Because of the way the drawers are designed, you need to put the p trap against the back wall.
I have the trap in 1.25"
Question is how do I get from the sink tail across to the start of the trap? The p trap pipe is not the same outer diameter as regular 1.25 ABS so I can't seem to find the parts to couple 1.25 to 1.25 and then back downsize to the trap.

20210208_141953.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The last Ikea sink I installed came with this 1.5" p-trap.

ikea-p-trap.jpg

And here is the trap alongside the wall.

ikea_lav_4.jpg

If you have 1.5" at the wall though, I would go with a 1.5" trap and only reduce down at the tailpiece. Even Ikea later changed to a 1.5" trap. the one right above is a 1.25" and that didn't last long.

Last edited:

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
So it's a 1-1/4" slip joint tailpiece and you can use 1-1/4" slip joint fittings. Seems like you need to recreate the geometry shown in Terry's picture. You could start off with a 1-1/4" slip joint elbow on the tailpiece, hopefully high enough to clear the drawer.

Cheers, Wayne

Qwertyjjj

Reaction score
So it's a 1-1/4" slip joint tailpiece and you can use 1-1/4" slip joint fittings. Seems like you need to recreate the geometry shown in Terry's picture. You could start off with a 1-1/4" slip joint elbow on the tailpiece, hopefully high enough to clear the drawer.

Cheers, Wayne
That's my problem, the local hardware store doesn't have any slip joint pipe. They only sell the p traps but no extensions.
Plenty of 1.25 abs and fittings though.
But then I need to go slip joint-->1.25 abs --> then back to slip joint p trap.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score

Qwertyjjj

Reaction score
With a double slip joint on a horizontal section, can't some water get trapped in the actual coupler since the tubular pipe is smaller?

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
I suppose that's a possibility, not sure if it's a problem. Also, you only need to have one compression slip joint connection on the horizontal:

I'm not sure how tight the curvature is on the tubular elbows, but they are available with one side very long, and a tubular compression fitting on the short side. So you could use one of those directly on the sink tail piece, with the long side cut to just the right length. That long side would be horizontal and enter an tubular elbow short side with the long side vertical to go down to the tubular trap. If the horizontal leg of the first elbow goes in far enough to the short horizontal leg of the second elbow, seems like the curvature of the second elbow would preclude creating any place that would retain water.

Cheers, Wayne

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks