If you're plumbing your own house, torch or press

Users who are viewing this thread

Chefwong

Reaction score
o_O;)

I can go on and on about this. Even my local HVAC shop, my repair guy was telling me on all installs, the -young crews- are all outfitted with press for refrigerant lines, and when he ends up doing a repair or tracing out a repair -needed on a install-, he will end up torching it.

I know it's about to turn on 2021. What camp do you sit on. Sure, press is good for no torch applications/permits or when you have to do a ad hoc repair on a 2 inch pipe where water just wont stop. Or not even 2". I was helping a friend redo his hot water tank. With the main closed, water will still coming out. I had no jet sweat on hand, and bread was only doing so muc. Would you replace torch for all you application in-lieu of press ?

I happen to have the press tool and the sweet ridgid non-fixed jaws (aka, you can hold the tool not 90 straight but at any angle). I'm planning to do 3 particular ones and while one run, I'm going to press (just due to the density of this area and pressing will be a whole lot easier ), I'm still going sweat for the other 2 areas.

What camp do you sit in.

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
Even though I was heading toward retiring and mostly am now, I bought in to PEX and Propress about 7 years ago.
The company I still run and for all the work I do we are Press 99 percent of the time.
At the hourly rates I charge, people save money with the speed at which I can work and I've never had a problem with a joint.
And don't even get me started on the bigger pipes above 3/4". What a dream.
We did a ten story repipe starting with 2-1/2" and working with 2" all the way to the attic. Not a leak or drip in $80,000. of piping.

At 47 years in the business, I can sweat as good as anyone. But, I haven't taken the torch out for years.

I didn't even know about press for refrigeration...

presstool-rothenberger.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Chefwong

Reaction score
I'm no Pro, just a Joe. Even with all the tooling I have, I kinda err still on sweat but the Press is nice for the application I got it for (dense area, torching not as ideal, etc). For a finished mechanical room, I would still appreciate full sweat job vs. -dog chewed ear- connections in my- in my eyes. But for a pro, I suppose it's a moneymaker. Whether it last as long as sweat, I suppose that's up for debate.

Yes, they make press for gas, refridgerant and GET THIS. Just saw this the other week. A -sharkbite- esque style fitting for refrigerant as well.

Chefwong

Reaction score
Bre.
I know there is grease on the o-ring already. Call me OCD but I put a smidge of silicone on the o rings when I plan when I do press just for the sake of (hoping the o ring will last my lifetime of service)

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Id choose sweat, building my own house, Paying out my own pocket. fittings much cheaper, sweat copper job very reliable. Not worth the extra cost to me If I'm doing it myself

Chefwong

Reaction score
Off topic but half the time I've never seen a hvac guy properly run nitrogen while brazing, so I must say IF, and that's a big IF, if press for refrigerant lines leads to cleaner lines, I'm all for it. Jury's still out on that for me I suppose.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Off topic but half the time I've never seen a hvac guy properly run nitrogen while brazing, so I must say IF, and that's a big IF, if press for refrigerant lines leads to cleaner lines, I'm all for it. Jury's still out on that for me I suppose.
Real fitters now how to purge as do Med gas plumbers. they aren't the ones that come out to your house , or have a catchy jingle on the Radio or TV

Chefwong

Reaction score
When my HVAC guy told me the install crew all use press , well it was writing on the wall on where the industry is going or gone....

No doubt about it. Press is a moneymaker - cut, slip, press and you are gone.
Whether it not it is of better value than a sweat for long term install is debatable

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks