If you work for yourself is creating a formal quote for the customer an annoying job?

Users who are viewing this thread

steve1970

Reaction score
Hi everyone

At the end of last year I had some work done in my bathroom, tiling and plumbing. It took a while to get the quotes in and it occurred to me creating the quote might be a tedious part of being self employed? Over Christmas I thought it would be good if a quote for a job could be quickly created using a smartphone or simple web site and sent to the customer electronically.

Basically you'd enter your business details once into the app and choose a layout for your quotations. Then you’d visit the customer, discuss the work etc. Maybe give them a rough idea of the price. Back in your vehicle you’d enter some basic details about the customer, a brief description of work and amount etc and the customer would get a pdf of the formal quote sent to them. The idea being if you had a few quotes to get out you could do it during an ad break or while waiting for takeaway etc. I think it would only take about 2-3 minutes to create and send a simple quote like this.

If anyone thinks this would be useful please let me know in the thread below or by a private forum message. I do a little programming in my job and I'd like to have a go at creating such a system but only if it would be useful.

Thanks
Steve

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
My accounting program does that.
Much of what I sell in added in as inventory, and it spits out an emailable pdf that is printed on their computer.
Quickbooks and Peachtree (Sage) does that.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
I can do all that on my Ipad and Iphone already. Its not the entering part that takes time, its the design, layout and pricing that takes time.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
There is no app that will figure out the cost of the labor, parts, etc., then use that to compute a final figure. Filling out the quote is no problem, but computing it is the time consuming part. It is not a problem for me, because I do very few jobs that need a "formal" price quotation.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks