If using a Reverse Osmosis, does a Carbon Filter add any benefit?

Users who are viewing this thread

AniScati

Reaction score
Helping a relative with a water issue. Their on city water that needs softening, no question. Water doesn't taste all the great either. Brita type pitcher filters help with taste issues, so my initial thought was to add a whole house carbon filter tank with the softener. No residents have heart / blood pressure issues so the sodium isn't an issue.

However, the city water sources have trace amounts of chemicals from an upstream chemical plant. Water reports claim the trace levels are not enough to be a concern, but RO is recommended for well owners (we're on city water, not well) and that carbon filtering isn't as effective on these chemicals.

So now I'm thinking softener and RO at the sink. If using a Reverse Osmosis filter, does a tank style Carbon Filter add any benefit?

Are there any RO filter systems that are just the single RO filter to a tap, without a bulky undersink tank? Not a lot of room under the sink.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Many RO systems have multiple stages and often two of those stages are carbon filters, one before the membrane and the other after. The one before removes chlorine while the one after improves taste. If you have a carbon filter before the softener, you can eliminate the one before the membrane.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
The RO filter system is a slow process, therefore, the tank is used to store about 2 gallons of water. It takes about 4 gallons to produce 1 gallon of filtered water. For residential use these under the sink type is affordable.

Bannerman

Reaction score
I installed our RO unit in the basement laundry room directly below the kitchen. Our laundry room offered plenty of space as well as ease of access for filter changes. I ran 3/8" tubing up to the kitchen RO faucet and to the refrigerator ice and water dispenser.

While the RO unit will be beneficial to purify the water utilized for drinking and cooking, chemicals in the incoming water will often be absorbed through the skin and may be breathed in while showering. A whole house backwashing carbon system will be beneficial to reduce/eliminate residual chemicals at point of entry to the home, thereby reducing exposure while bathing and other water contact.

Last edited:

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
If you have a carbon filter before the softener, you can eliminate the one before the membrane.
Removing chlorine before the softener extends the life of the softener resin. As Bannerman said, it also removes some chemicals that could be inhaled or absorbed through the skin.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks