Identifying And Fixing Leaking Tub Fixture

Users who are viewing this thread

MikiCab

Reaction score
I have a leaking tub fixture. I cannot identify what brand it is but I am also having a hard time trying to take it apart. From the picture you can see it has a C Clip that comes off easily. I am guessing the nut comes off but I cannot get it to break free. I have been spraying it with WD40 and tapping on it and the whole assembly spins. I cannot get underneath it without cutting out tiles. Any suggestions on how to get this apart and what brand it is. It is over 10 years old and I am guessing at least 15 years old.

Attachments

• IMG_2144.JPG
    IMG_2144.JPG
    66.3 KB · Views: 268
  • IMG_2142.JPG
    IMG_2142.JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 280
  • IMG_2143.JPG
    IMG_2143.JPG
    52.6 KB · Views: 280

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
You might be able to narrow down the possible choices by counting the splines on the broach. The broach is where the handle attaches. You count the splines, either the grooves or the ridges.....
To remove the nut, you could clean the oil off the threaded section with rubbing alcohol and a soft cloth. Then wrap multiple layers of tape around the threaded section or wrap a section of leather around the threads to hold onto while you turn the nut. I would give that a try but be careful not to tear it up.

Last edited:

MikiCab

Reaction score
I counted it and it is a 38 point stem. I will try to wrap it in duct tape and see if I can get it off. I am assuming it is Lefty Loosy to get it off. Please tell me of the threading is opposite of the normal Right Tight, Left Loose.

MikiCab

Reaction score
That is it. Thank you ThatJohn. 38 point Danze. Thanks Smooky also. Wrapping it in Duct Tape worked. It cracked when it came off so it was really tight.

Attachments

• IMG_2154.JPG
    IMG_2154.JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 266
  • IMG_2155.JPG
    IMG_2155.JPG
    51.3 KB · Views: 262
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks