Identify a mystery substance - what is it

Users who are viewing this thread

Gramps

Reaction score
I was just having some plumbing problems. A drain clog. Drain company came and snaked it.
someone else uses in the basement.
After the clog was cleared by the drain company, i found a strange substance in the bowl and don't know what it is. maybe 1 quarts worth of the stuff. i put a small sample in a jar
Here is a picture. it kind of feels "jell" like. it has no smell.
I am trying do determine if there is another problem i did not know about.
what could this be?

Attachments

• P1070697.JPG
    P1070697.JPG
    57 KB · Views: 328
  • P1070697.JPG
    P1070697.JPG
    57 KB · Views: 331

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It looks like the "Stuff" we put into a toilet bowl to congeal the water before we take the toilet apart to replace it. I had a toilet in a pool supply store that someone put it in the tank before flushing the toilet and completely plugged the bowl so it had to be replaced. Maybe the "drain company" put it there.

Gramps

Reaction score
It looks like the "Stuff" we put into a toilet bowl to congeal the water before we take the toilet apart to replace it. I had a toilet in a pool supply store that someone put it in the tank before flushing the toilet and completely plugged the bowl so it had to be replaced. Maybe the "drain company" put it there.
I scooped most of it out of the bowl. What would this do to my plumbing/drain system if some pieces got in? i don't understand why a drain company would do this. the toilet was removed and put back.

would bio clean break this up if it ended up in my pipes?
i am dumbstruck

Gramps

Reaction score
Here are the pictures of the snaked line. the drain company told me that my flange section was lead, the pipe was cast iron (what you can see in the picture). He said that what i am looking at is the iron oxidation (rust). last year, i saw this whole area spick and span after a 2 week bio clean after a blockage removal.

I was quoted over $3k to replace this section of pipe. This was from a drain company who is very reputable in this city. I am perplexed. the tennants are the only others. Except i know them well enough that they are not at all technically inclined

I am having trouble believing what he says given the condition of the pipe i have seen before, and frankly as always, I trust the options of members in this forum the most.

I took a video (i have not posted) of the snake and two pictures (attached). what does this look like to you?

Attachments

• P1070693.JPG
    P1070693.JPG
    50.8 KB · Views: 314
  • P1070696 small.jpg
    P1070696 small.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 298
Last edited:

Gramps

Reaction score
i have neglected a few months of bio clean maintenance.

can you guys comment from the photo if the foreign material appears in the pictures appears to be toilet paper or oxidized metal pipe on a 45 or 23 degree elbow.. The contractor said it was oxidation due the orange colour. He was referring to the other two pictures. Here is an additional photo at the bend. This picture could be oxidation. It looks pitted slightly but it looks like it is between some old toilet paper.
I am trying to delay or no do the repair if possible. timing is terriable. I want to try bio clean for a few weeks and re-scope.

I am concerned about loss of pipe section thickness if oxidation is occuring. If at all i can avoid this by not using that toilet, i want to take that option.
What do you see? Please let me know what you thinkabout the pipe you see for all 3 pictures.

I can always rescope the drain after a very healthy bio clean. maybe 2 weeks? longer? The cost to scope is 1/10 of the full job to repair it. i missed out on a few months of preventative bio clean maintenance. (big mistake) in addition to the tennant family member knowingly using the wrong toilet paper that does not break down after i made a request for a specific brand and product.

Final throught: if oxidation was occuring, wouldn't it create a "channel" in the pipe that was eassy to recognize. Could a cleaned up pipe show this if rescoped?

any thoughts are appreciated
thanks

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-10-19 at 3.09.56 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-10-19 at 3.09.56 AM.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 272
  • P1070693 small.jpg
    P1070693 small.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 319
  • P1070696 small.jpg
    P1070696 small.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 309
Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks