Ideas for extension cord for freezer?

Users who are viewing this thread

rowdy235

Reaction score
Hi all,

Looking for a good solution to my freezer. Its in my carport about 10' away from the outlet. For the last 20 years or so we've had hit hooked to a 12 ga extension cord with no issues. This last weekend there was an issue and it ended up throwing the breaker and burning the connector on the end of the extension cord.

So now I'm looking for a better solution. The way the house is designed its not possible to wire in a new outlet in the wall in this location. The outlet i am using is a dedicated GFCI outlet.

I have some leftover 12-2 UF wire from another project. I was tossing around the idea of putting a plug on one end and a surface-mount box on the other, complete with outlet and wet location cover. It may not be "permanent" but it would be better than the extension cord?

Thoughts?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Rather than an extension cord, I'd probably run some EMT to protect the wires and install a box near enough to utilize the existing power cord on the unit. Running wires inside of the wall can be problematic, but EMT or some of the flat conduit can be painted, and run nearly anywhere.

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
Don't know why you think another arrangement is necessary. Just replace the cord connector and the GFCI
(if appropriate). Good to go for another 20 years, and probably longer, as modern GFCI's are more weather-resistant
than earlier ones, and connectors far superior to the ones that usually come on extension cords are readily available.

Reach4

Reaction score
There are GFCI outlets with audible trip alerts.

Leviton SmartlockPro 15 Amp 125-Volt Self-Test Tamper-Resistant GFCI Receptacle with Audible Trip Alert is one.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Buy the good commercial grade receptacles and plugs. The cheap stuff is not worthy of anything short of a lamp cord.

rowdy235

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick replies..

My assumption was moisture got into the connection at the freezer end which caused the short. I was hoping by upgrading to a receptacle mounted on the wall and a outdoor cover it would prevent that issue. I suppose it wouldn't be any harder to run a length of conduit, its not going very far after all. But I think the house is a very similar color to the UF wire :)

Will get commercial grade stuff. Think I'm gonna replace the GFCI while I'm at it just because its older and a good time to do it.

rowdy235

Reaction score
Just to clairfy what I was thinking

Existing Outlet > Plug > 12/2 wire > Receptacle mounted to wall with cover > Freezer

Jadnashua

Reaction score
When you replace the GFCI, get one with a load out set of contacts/leads, and hardwire it. The fewer replaceable connections you have, the better. Depending on where the wiring needs to run in the garage, it might need to be in a conduit (or in the wall) to be protected. Then, you can place a heavy duty receptacle close enough to the freezer so that you can plug it in there - the GFCI will still have two receptacles you could use, and will protect both those connections, and anything downstream of it (when wired properly).

Reaction score
Don't know why you think another arrangement is necessary. Just replace the cord connector
Agreed, 10 feet is really nothing, loads of folks use thinner cords for longer lengths.

12 gauge is plenty, be generous on the electric tape to 'waterproof' you plug

You may want to get your hands on an ammeter, it's possible your freezer's compressor is getting tired, drawing in more current than before.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
A clamped or screwed connection is always better than a compression/friction fitting when dealing with wire. Each connection will have a little bit of resistance. Resistance in electrical current equals heat. Heating/cooling weakens the spring connection, increasing the resistance, increasing the heat. Hardwiring a new receptacle is the best solution, eliminating two potential failure points at each end of a cord. Yes, it might work fine for a long time with just a new extension cord, but relying on only the attached pigtail directly to a receptacle is always the best.

Trying to fish new wires in a finished wall can be a challenge, which is why I suggested, if it needed protection (and in a garage, it might) that you run conduit or EMT to a new receptacle that is closer. If you can't run it along the wall, there's always the ceiling.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score

rowdy235

Reaction score
The freezer is getting old and probably in need of replacement soon, but man they want a lot of money for those things.

I guess its worth clarifying the cord end burned where the freezer plugged in to the cord- not where the cord plugged into the GFCI outlet.

Is there some sort of adapter to use to attach conduit to the existing electrical box (its an in-wall box)?

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Do a search on box extender and see if one of those might work...depends on the existing box.

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
Any marine supply house will have plenty of weatherproof, locking cord connectors. They will likely outlast
most electrical gear in your house, given the puny load of a domestic freezer.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks