Ideal sump pump with backup configuration

Users who are viewing this thread

Pushc5

Reaction score
So I just purchased an electric backup sump and was wondering what the "ideal" configuration would be. I have it narrowed to three configurations. One where both the backup and primary are at the same level in the pit, it would have to 1.5" pvc going up to two independent check valves and then wyed into a common discharge line. This would prevent a failed check valve from screwing up the primary and backup sump should the check valve break. The only potential downside is that the backup would constantly be in water (is that even a bad thing? The internet seems to have various opinions).

The second would be to install the backup sump in-line with the primary pump using the inline check valve that comes with the pump. This would basically go out through the common line right away. This would result in that pump sitting above the normal water level in the basin and would only get wet if the primary pump fails. Downside would be it goes through a common check valve and if that fails both pumps would fail (does that even happen often?).

The third is a hybrid. It's connected like option 1 but instead of having the pump in water, I would have the backup pump mounted a little higher so it's not always in water.

I have the parts for all these potential configurations already, just trying to figure out what the preferred setup would be. There are all sorts of opinions out there. Thanks!

For reference I purchased the liberty 442-10a-eye backup system.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks